First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default First Oil Change

I changed my oil today at 1500 miles. It came out like it was brand new. Never had a car do that before. You guys claiming > 5k between oil changes are sounding more credible to me than yesterday, live and learn. Well at least I got M1 in it now. Hopefully my mileage will go up. :-) I also got to experience first hand (on my hands actually) that 0w20 is a lot thinner than 10w30.

I got to see how small our engine really is too, it doesn't even fill that tiny engine box. And the complaint about the hard-to-see coolant fluid reservoir makes sense now.

The HCH didn't fit on my ramps either, the front bumper is too low, so I put a 2x4 in front of each tire and drove up on them, the 2" was enough to get that underplate off. The oil filter is in front YAAY!

Also, I hope everybody in Texas is ok, later.

Old 09-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First Oil Change

I just changed mine for the first time last Friday and was also surprised at how clean it was. At 4,860 miles.

Old 09-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just curious, why did you change it so soon? Even the extreme conditions table in the manual recommends changing it every 5K miles.

Originally Posted by kmh3
I changed my oil today at 1500 miles. It came out like it was brand new. Never had a car do that before. You guys claiming > 5k between oil changes are sounding more credible to me than yesterday, live and learn. Well at least I got M1 in it now. Hopefully my mileage will go up. :-) I also got to experience first hand (on my hands actually) that 0w20 is a lot thinner than 10w30.

I got to see how small our engine really is too, it doesn't even fill that tiny engine box. And the complaint about the hard-to-see coolant fluid reservoir makes sense now.

The HCH didn't fit on my ramps either, the front bumper is too low, so I put a 2x4 in front of each tire and drove up on them, the 2" was enough to get that underplate off. The oil filter is in front YAAY!

Also, I hope everybody in Texas is ok, later.

Old 09-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

I always like to change out oil early on the first change, carry over from the break-in days. Modern engines don't really need that but at least I got synthetic in there now.

Old 09-25-2005, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast

The car's manual actually says to NOT change the oil until the first recommended interval. This is because the oil they use during manufacturing is specially designed for the first 5k/10k miles.

If anything it is probably NOT a good thing that you changed it so early. As far as I am concerned the auto manufacturer probably has reasons for their recommended service intervals, and personally I will follow them.

~Droid

Old 09-25-2005, 05:11 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Originally Posted by droidicus
The car's manual actually says to NOT change the oil until the first recommended interval. This is because the oil they use during manufacturing is specially designed for the first 5k/10k miles.

If anything it is probably NOT a good thing that you changed it so early. As far as I am concerned the auto manufacturer probably has reasons for their recommended service intervals, and personally I will follow them.

~Droid
I was waiting to see if anyone was going to mention that. My first oil change I waited because it is supposed to be a "break in oil" with a few additional additives. What it has, I haven't a clue but I waited even though it darn near killed me. After that initial change I've been going at 7000-8000 intervals since my area falls between regular and extreme conditions.

Old 09-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Oops, I missed that, hope it doesn't hurt the car too much. :-(

Old 09-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: First Oil Change

Where do you guys buy your oil from? I've been reading on here that Mobile doesn't make it anymore but that Penzoil is going to start producing it, is that true? Either way, three days ago i was shopping around for oil at kragen, pepeboys and autozone and only kragen had it, but only 1 quart for 6 bucks, so I decided not to take it. Today, i had to go back to get some cleaning fluids from the store so i asked the guy behind the counter if he had any 0w20 and he said that they should, so he went back to look for it but came back empty handed, apparently someone had bought the last quart that i saw. But then another guy that worked there comes by and asked me what I was looking for. When I told him I needed the 0w20 he told me that they had it on clearence for a buck a quart so naturally i raided that place. I guess noone was buying it so they decided to get rid of it. BTW, it was only 12 quarts but that should keep me without worry for the next year or so.

Old 09-25-2005, 11:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Newbie question here...I have 2500 miles and am already thinking about the oil change but will wait 5K probably since there are claims of break-in oil, etc. What does Honda use (brand, etc)? Any experience or thoughts on theirs?

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2005, 05:04 AM
now Insight, had an HCH

Originally Posted by malditos
Where do you guys buy your oil from? I've been reading on here that Mobile doesn't make it anymore but that Penzoil is going to start producing it, is that true? Either way, three days ago i was shopping around for oil at kragen, pepeboys and autozone and only kragen had it, but only 1 quart for 6 bucks, so I decided not to take it. Today, i had to go back to get some cleaning fluids from the store so i asked the guy behind the counter if he had any 0w20 and he said that they should, so he went back to look for it but came back empty handed, apparently someone had bought the last quart that i saw. But then another guy that worked there comes by and asked me what I was looking for. When I told him I needed the 0w20 he told me that they had it on clearence for a buck a quart so naturally i raided that place. I guess noone was buying it so they decided to get rid of it. BTW, it was only 12 quarts but that should keep me without worry for the next year or so.
It was posted here before that Mobil 1 is going to start making it again (0-20). I got lucky too and got mine for a buck a quart (Autozone) but have already used it all since I have multiple hybrids that require that particular oil.

Either way, if I don't find 0-20 again for a while I'll be OK and so will anyone else in "The South" if you just run 5w20. That's my back up plan if I don't get some. It's said to be available again next spring and from reading other posts the NAPA warehouses have plenty too if you are skeptical about using 5w20.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands