First Tank MPG average of 35?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default First Tank MPG average of 35?

I am still on my first tank but the on screen average is only about 35 mpg after travelling 300 miles. Does it get better and how can I improve. I drive about 45 miles on the highway each day.

Old 07-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Banned
Default Re: First Tank MPG average of 35?

So of repeating on the "New to Hybrids" thread:
  • Give your Civic time to break in
  • Give yourself time for a mental break in on all the little hybrid nuiances. That could be a couple of months.
I started a poll recently on how much of an improvement your fuel economy improved since purchasing the hybrid. Quite a few had 20%, 30% and better.

Old 07-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Yes, break in and driving style are two big factors. I didn't get 43-45 consistently until about 3000 miles. Then, for some reason, I got another jump around 10,000 miles where I'd range from 44-48.

As for driving style, there's a LOT of info on this site about that. Simply said, if you race around town you won't get mid-40's either. A/C will drop your mileage, as will weather conditions (rain, wind).

Oh, and that screen is going to lie to you. Mine is on average 3.5 MPG higher than what I get based on actual consumption and mileage. If I end a tank on 50, that usually means 47 actual.

Hang in there - your car will come around.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:54 AM
now Insight, had an HCH

It's been mentioned already on giving the car time to break in. How about your driving technique? That will possibly be mentioned a few times in your thread (some will use a little more tact than others).

You didn't mention what you do for your speed? You mentioned you drive highway. Are you passing everyone driving it in an uneffiecient manner? (maybe 75-78MPH?) One hint, it's been mentioned a million times - raise your tire pressure. Do what you feel comfortable with, the higher the pressure will result in more road noise and a harsher ride. I do mine at 49psi, that's me though.

Slow down a bit, watch your acceleration (nice and easy) and raise that tire pressure and I bet you'll bring it up to around 41-43 in the blink of an eye.

Good Luck

Old 07-24-2005, 07:45 AM
Banned
Default Ditto to Constant Moderate Speed

Members here know about my 25-mile freeway work commute. My fuel economy is much better in the mornings than the evenings.

In the mornings, shead of the ruch hour, I can generally do a steady 60mph. When traffic pools up, I can usually anticipate and make the FE damage mimimal.

In the evenings, the rush hour traffic makes going 60mph nearly impossible. Compounded to my typical 70mph evening cruise speed, I occasionally fall prey to "The Dark Side" in regards to agressive drivers.

If you cruise over 65mph, FE will take a hit for sure due to increased wind resistance. If your Civic has lean burn, it won't work at that higher speed.

Going on a non-freeway route at 45mph can deliver good FE if you can anticipate the lights and traffic. Sometimes I'll take such a route right after work to the gym. Nice thing after the work out - rush hour is over.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hybrid_Jon
I am still on my first tank but the on screen average is only about 35 mpg after travelling 300 miles. Does it get better and how can I improve. I drive about 45 miles on the highway each day.
I have had my CVT model for about two months with 2500+ miles on it. My lifetime trip reading on car is 38.2MPG. I have yet to get an increase in mileage to amount to anything. I put my tires at 35PSI and use AC. About 70/30 City/hwy driving. I find that heavy use of AC will take a 3-5mpg hit on mileage. Also over 60-65 mph takes a good hit. I have slowed down and try to watch how I drive. I had driven about half dozen HCHs on dealer transfers before I got mine, so out of that experience I had set a realistic goal of 40MPG based on my observations on the CVT models. Did not quite get there but hoping for better, but not counting on it. The traffic lights, hills, etc where I live are really bad. Also short trips will cause a big hit on mileage as car takes more gas when warming up. Do you have AC controls set on AUTO? I also have found on my care that the MPG readouts are fairly correct for the most part. As for the very high MPG readings noted on this site, you just have to wonder about some of them!
I wont drive with 50+psi air in my tires and no AC for a few more MPGs!
If yours is a CVT, then it is a little low, if a 5 speed it is more than a little low!

Last edited by DTDRIVER; 07-24-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

35 mpg is much lower than is to be expected. A bit of troubleshooting is in order:

1. First things first, check you tyre pressures. Recommended is good enough (if not best).
2. Is the handbrake completely released ?
3. How fast do you drive on the highway ?
4. Describe you city driving -- how often, and the trip length.

3. Go out sometime when the traffic is light, and drive a return trip on the highway of about 10 miles, after the car has been running about 5 minutes, at 60 mph. Reset your trip mpg meter at the beginning, and let us know what mileage you are getting. During the test trip, set AC to auto at 80 degrees, for comparison purposes.

Old 07-24-2005, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Since you have a highway drive all you need to do in order to get better mileage is drive slower. The EPA tests are still based on a 55mph speed limit and no AC. If you drive faster and use AC your mileage will be lower period. My worst tanks are the one were i drive on the highway at the speed limit of 70.

Keep in mind that you last non-hybrid car was in the same boat and in all likelyhood did not get the EPA rated mileage if you drove it the same way. People just notice the mileage in a hybrid more.

Look at my mileage. The car can do amazing things if you drive it for mileage. My current tank is over 80 mpg. I'll post a picture...

Of course I'm doing all kinds of crazy things to get the mileage up that high including no AC and lots of engine off coasting.

One thing I'd do is get some more air in those tires. What PSI are they rated at? I understand why normal people would not want to give up their AC this time of year but you will hardly notice the increase in tire pressure. Personally I like the feel of the car better with more pressure in the tires.

Old 07-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Enthusiast

Wow, thanks for all of your help everyone.

I usually drive 65-70 MPH as the speed limit is 70 here.
(We don't want everyone on the road to think hybrids are gutless!).
I try and use the CC as much as possible.
My commute is probably 80/20 highway/city.

I will increase that tire pressure today.

I do have the AC set to auto, but I have it set quite cool. It is hot right now!

I am trying to watch every move I make while the instantaneous fuel meter is above average so that I can apply that to my driving habits.

Old 07-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hybrid_Jon, my first piece of advice would be 'relax'; you have a great car that you will enjoy, and as a side benefit, you are and will get great mileage.

I have a 2005 HCH like you; my first tank was a bit over 40, and since then I'm getting 48-50. I do not use any of the special techniques mentioned here by the great hypermilers, but I do tend to drive in a more relaxed fashion, and I tend to stay around the speed limit or a little above. My tires are also inflated to 36psi, which is above the 32psi recommended.

If I drive through town on the freeway at 65 (with cruise control), I get over 50 mpg. Driving in town, it depends on the lights and traffic, but I get between 45-48. I have two friends, whom I helped convince to get 2005 HCH's, who are getting similar, and sometimes better, results.

I'm telling you this just so you know that it is possible to drive reasonably normally and get very good gas mileage.

The last thing I'd say is not to worry too much about the exact mileage you get; you are doing a good thing for yourself and for transportation in general, and that is something that is well worth your investment!

Quick Reply: First Tank MPG average of 35?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands