First Two Tanks...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default First Two Tanks...

I have 900 miles on my '05 HCH and I have averaged 44.1MPG in two tanks...is this a good start?

I have increased my tire pressure to 44PSI and trying to follow the tips listed on this site.

Will I see an increase in MPG after a couple more thousand miles?

Thanks

Brian

Old 09-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First Two Tanks...

- Yes that is a good start.
- Yes you will see an increase after a while, attributable to either the car 'breaking in', or because of explicit or subliminal changes that you make to your driving style, based on the constant feedback of the fuel economy gauge.

Be aware, though, that depending on where you live, when you hit winter, you may take a moderate hit in MPG. Unless you live in Florida or Arizona, of course, where your MPG will *increase* due to no A/C, in which case you can happily thumb your nose at the rest of us poor schmucks. :-)

Old 09-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Wannabe Hypermiler

That's better than the average of my first two tanks. Good job.

FYI, I just broke 5,000 miles and I'm starting to see slightly better mileage, without much change to my driving habits.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you push yourself, and *always* try to practice the less radical techniques posted here and there on GreenHybrid, you could get well over 50mpg on your next tank. It takes patience in yourself and with your environment (drivers around you) in order to change your driving habits, but you will find that over time your attitude behind the wheel will change. I used to mumble to myself, "screw you ***hole" when being tailgated by impatient drivers, but nowadays it's usually more like "heh... sucks to be you, dude. i'm getting nearly 60 mpg, so you can just go around."