Freezing Winter Actual Mileage - without babying the car

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Freezing Winter Actual Mileage - without babying the car

Anyone out there who experience the HCHII 06 in winter with freezing temps, please share your actual mileage. More preferably drivers who do not baby their cars but those who drive them normally. I'm recieving my HCHII this monday and hopefully i'll get some insight on how it performs in actual conditions: anything in the 8L/100km (29.4MPG US) range is very acceptable to me; considering if i had purchased a regular civic which is rated at 8.2L/100km i would probably be doing 10L/100km (23.5MPG US) in real life.

My current car:
BMW 01 325ci Manual Rated 11.4L/100KM (20.6MPG US)

I Drive:
90% city 10% highway
10.2L/100KM (23MPG US) when i drive lightly
12.2L/100KM (19.5MPG US) when i drive normally

Temps outside -5 Degrees Celsius or 23 F

thank you very much

Last edited by CamelFilters; 03-02-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Freezing Winter Actual Mileage - without babying the car

Well, I live in the city of La Verne, CA, USA, and on some colder nights, we get down to about 32 degrees F, or 0 degrees Celsius. I can tell you that I get about 41-44 mpg at those temps. So, if you think 29 is acceptable, then you're in for a TREAT my friend. Congrats, and enjoy....

Old 03-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast

In Halifax, (generally a little warmer than TO this time of year) we consisently get 7.5 to 8.0 l/100km. These are for short trips (5 to 10 minuutes) after a cold start.

Longer trips, which allow the ICE to warm up, get better mileage. The outside temp has a large effect; three weeks ago, on a particualrly warm day (+12), we achieved 4.9 l / 100 km for a the best part of an afternnoon of running around the city (~50 km/hr), so we look forward to much better mileage in the warm season.

Old 03-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here in North East Pennsylvania, we are getting around 41 in our HCHII. That is driving it pretty much the same as any other car (no hypermiling techniques).

Old 03-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi, I lived in the Montreal area, I got my 06 HCH on February third. It's been cold since then. I ride to work approximatly 45 minutes each way, morning and night. Depending on traffic, I would say it's mostly 60/40 - 70/30 city/highway. For my first two tanks I average 6.32L/100km. Take in account that I'am also in break-in.

My last fill up I overfill the gaz thank. I put more gaz than the tank capacity so may be my 6.32 is higher that my real value. I'll see with my next tank. My trip consomption where saying 5.9 and 5.8 L/100km.

I just love my car....

Last edited by Soleil24; 03-02-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

I live in New York, about 40 minutes from the city. The winter mileage that I have averaged in my '04 HCH I was 37 mpg, in the warmer months I average about 40 mpg. I have a very short commute which is about 6 miles one way. I expect my '06 HCH II winter mileage to be a bit better since the auto stop feature seems to work fo me even in 20 degree weather, whereas my HCH I rarely auto stopped in the winter. My first tank in the HCH II averaged 40 mpg with an outdoor temperature of 30 degrees. (The average in my sig reflects 70 delivery miles that averaged 28 mpg)

Old 03-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I should also mention that I'm not a very good hypermiler, because I'd get run over around here with all the SUVs if I didn't maintain a decent pace.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the replies: i'm glad to know that this car can easily do 30-44 MPG without even trying. I worried for nothing thinking that i may not get accurate responses because i thought everyone here is lightfooted; Glad to know that i'm wrong

Now that i know what the mileages are like with the HCHII under NORMAL driving situations, time to start a new thread on who's the best hypermiler just j/k

Old 03-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think it's fair to assume that the HCH gets 50% more miles per gallon than a regular Civic. So if you expect your driving conditions and style to get 24 MPG in a Civic you can expect 36 MPG in the HCH.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElanC
I think it's fair to assume that the HCH gets 50% more miles per gallon than a regular Civic. So if you expect your driving conditions and style to get 24 MPG in a Civic you can expect 36 MPG in the HCH.
Thanks ElanC,
I was just browsing through the brochure and your suggestions regarding the HCH is 50% more FE than the regular civic is true. As long i'm getting 30+MPG in the city, where i spend most of my time i'll be very happy, because i know i'll be getting the same mileage as any other would in the Highway while i drive in the city.

regards,
gj

Quick Reply: Freezing Winter Actual Mileage - without babying the car

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands