Getting Honda to warranty battery before 150k?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 09:54 PM
Enthusiast
Default Getting Honda to warranty battery before 150k?

Not sure if this has been asked before but I have a 2007 and I know the battery warranty is up to 150k, I am currently creeping up and plan on keeping the car a while is there anyway I can get Honda to warranty the battery before it runs out just so I have some peace of mind?

Old 08-29-2015, 06:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Getting Honda to warranty battery before 150k?

Originally Posted by skiracer8148
Not sure if this has been asked before but I have a 2007 and I know the battery warranty is up to 150k, I am currently creeping up and plan on keeping the car a while is there anyway I can get Honda to warranty the battery before it runs out just so I have some peace of mind?
150K is only in certain states, and it's also tied to VIN, so don't take it for granted. Settlement warranty is only for 9yr/92,500 mi outside the 150K areas.

Honda replacement packs are notoriously short-lived as the quality of the NiMH cells has dropped. If you want to try and force an IMA light, drive like it's not a hybrid and use the A/C all the time. If you're already experiencing significant mileage deterioration and frequent recalibrations, you might be able to talk them into replacing it.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 09-05-2015, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast

I might add that they will not cover a 150+ Mile warranty car if you no longer live in the correct states that require it. I just ran into this. They say the vehicle must be "registered and operating" in the state in which the warranty was for. BS!!!!!

Old 09-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Honda replacement packs are notoriously short-lived as the quality of the NiMH cells has dropped.
I thought it was because they built the replacement packs with sticks from existing (used) packs.

Which cars have a 150K IMA warranty? My 2nd pack (yes, one of those short lived Honda replacements) is on its very last legs. If Honda modified the warranty, again, that might be helpful. Oh wait, how many years? This is starting to sound familiar. Mine is a 2003, so if its 10y/150k I'm still screwed.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by pasadena_commut
I thought it was because they built the replacement packs with sticks from existing (used) packs.

Which cars have a 150K IMA warranty? My 2nd pack (yes, one of those short lived Honda replacements) is on its very last legs. If Honda modified the warranty, again, that might be helpful. Oh wait, how many years? This is starting to sound familiar. Mine is a 2003, so if its 10y/150k I'm still screwed.
It's the worst of both worlds. They re-use old sticks and when they have to replace with new, the new ones are inferior to the originals.

Pretty sure it's 10/150.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:04 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nathanbrown03
I might add that they will not cover a 150+ Mile warranty car if you no longer live in the correct states that require it. I just ran into this. They say the vehicle must be "registered and operating" in the state in which the warranty was for. BS!!!!!

well you just answered a question I have. I bought a certified used 08 HCH that was originally bought in NY (i got this from the carfax) about 3 years ago at a dealer in VA. car has run reasonably well the whole time, but the check engine light/IMA light both came on (IMA light turned off by itself though after a day) a few days ago. looking at the IMA warranty, it says for PZEV vehicles, the warranty is 10/150 as many have noted. seeing as how i have the car registered in VA instead of NY, i think i'm screwed. that just doesn't make sense. i did have an extended warranty on my car for powertrain parts to 100k miles. does the IMA qualify as a powertrain part? my car is at 101k... i might be able to get them to work with me on that. who knows? only one way to find out i guess. i'm bringing the car in tomorrow to the dealership.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:41 PM

Most extended warranties exclude the IMA system from the warranty as the IMA system is categorized as an emission system.

Check out the links in my sig. There are alternatives to replacement that are very inexpensive.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:41 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Keith. It was what I expected. They said my battery pack crapped out and that I am no longer under warranty. They quoted me $400 in labor to swap out the old one and $2395 for a new battery (I live in the metro DC area).

Thanks for the tips. I'll give some of them a try and see what happens.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:04 AM

If you look to replace it, don't consider a Honda pack. There are superior aftermarket options from Bumblebee and Hybrid ReVolt.

Additionally, if you don't want to go the DIY route, Hybrid Automotive sells a turnkey charger that makes grid charging almost convenient. Pack has to be pulled from car with my DIY charger.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 10-07-2015, 06:44 AM
Enthusiast

thank steve. just checked out both of those sites and i can at least save $300-500 off the part cost (not sure how much shipping may impact that though). i'm a little hesitant about replacing the pack myself (not very handy) and wouldn't mind paying for someone around my area to do it.

if it isn't too hard to replace, i guess i can try it. do you know if it requires any special tools?

Quick Reply: Getting Honda to warranty battery before 150k?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands