Going Hybrid, leaning towards 06 HCH, Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Enthusiast
Question Going Hybrid, leaning towards 06 HCH, Need Help!

With gas prices slowly approaching 4.00/gal and my Envoy taking 50.00 to fill it and going thru 125-200/week in gas. I did the math and a decent chunk of my income goes to car payment, insurance and gas. I pretty much work to afford to get to work. So the other day I had an idea, ditch the Envoy and go Hybrid. Considered the Prius, too odd looking. Accord, too pricey and not fuel efficient enough. Hybrid SUV's, no real value to me at all although 4WD is a plus its not a necessity. So the other day after work I went to the enar by Honda dealer to try out the Civic and Accord Hybrid. My main thing is interior dimensions, I'm 6'5 and I find myself having to make sure the vehicle has enough room before I look any further. The Accord and decent room and the Civic was just as good. I couldnt take the Civis for a ride as the only one they had was sold, but I took the Accord out and was really impressed.

My questions are...

Are HCH's reliable? Any common issues or problems? Any big things I should know about?

How are HCH's in snowy/icey conditions? Where I live (CT) we can either get a bad winter or no snow at all so I need to be ready for a bad one. I'm not looking to get thru a foot of snow, but if there is like 3 inches can I make it home from the office?

How is the HCH on acceleration? Gets up hills okay? Enough power to pass on the highway?

Gas Mileage, is it close to what the EPA estimates? If it's 40MPG its better than what I get now.

Tax deductions, from my understanding there is a 2000 dollar tax deductions for 05 and I beleive the state of CT waives or refunds sales tax on Hybrids. Can anyone confirm this?

Is it hard to get used to driving a hybrid vehicle? I noticed the Accord shut down while stopping, Civic does the same?

Is pricing available for the 06 HCH? I'd be buying an 06 prolly with nav and all.

If anyone can answer some of my questions and give their insight and opinion on the HCH it would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: Going Hybrid, leaning towards 06 HCH, Need Help!

I can try to answer some of these. I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid, CVT, 41K miles. I love the car - haven't had a moment of regret, especially now with gas what it is.

Are HCH's reliable? Any common issues or problems? Any big things I should know about? I haven't had any trouble with mine. Standard maintenance checks, and they fixed a rattle in the dash. The recalled it once, only to upgrade the computer. I did get the extended warranty as a precaution.

How are HCH's in snowy/icey conditions? Where I live (CT) we can either get a bad winter or no snow at all so I need to be ready for a bad one. I'm not looking to get thru a foot of snow, but if there is like 3 inches can I make it home from the office? I don't run into much at all - someone else may have to weigh in.

How is the HCH on acceleration? Gets up hills okay? Enough power to pass on the highway? It gets around just fine. I've passed people going up hills before. With my CVT, response is not instantaneous, which is a bit of a change. You don't floor it and get that immediate down-shift and surge of speed. It does, just with a small delay while the engine and transmission figure out where they want to be. In all, it requires a bit more cautious driving style. I do a LOT less weaving in and out of traffic, which is actually a good thing. I'm actually a much safer driver in this car.

Gas Mileage, is it close to what the EPA estimates? If it's 40MPG its better than what I get now. Driven poorly (aggressively) folks get in the low 40's. Driven properly, you should get EPA. Driven well, you can get it into the low 50's. A lot of factors are at play - hwy vs city, weather, etc. My lifetime over 3 years is 45.6. Last three tanks have been 50, 48 and 52 - mostly due to change in how I drive.

Tax deductions, from my understanding there is a 2000 dollar tax deductions for 05 and I beleive the state of CT waives or refunds sales tax on Hybrids. Can anyone confirm this? Can't comment - mine was a 2K deduction in 03.

Is it hard to get used to driving a hybrid vehicle? I noticed the Accord shut down while stopping, Civic does the same? Not hard, but keep in mind to get the best mileage you'll need to change some of your driving habits (if they are aggressive, meaning fast starts, quick stops, etc.). You can't drive it hard and expect to get 50 MPG. The Civic does autostop like the Accord, under certain conditions. You'll get used to that. In fact, when we're in my wife's car it drives me crazy that the engine is on at stop lights. The CVT took some getting used to as well. Nothing I didn't adjust to in the first couple weeks of owning one.

Is pricing available for the 06 HCH? I'd be buying an 06 prolly with nav and all. Don't know. The 06 looks nice...

If I had to summarize - expect a Civic. Decent options, reasonable transportation, excellent quality, great mileage. It's a bit lacking in "fun" factor, but what's fun for me now is going 550 miles on a tank of gas. I traded in an Infinity - I really don't miss it.

Good luck with your purchase!

Old 09-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast

Hey AJ

I parked my Dakota Pickup (16.7 mpg) and got a HCH CVT in early July. Am quite satisfied with it. It's not hard getting used to it if ever driven an economy car. It's weak but I get up to speed on the interstate with no problem. Then just set the cruise. I'm starting to get mid 50's for MPG. I live in Florida so that helps. They seam to get better mileage in warm weather. It would be great if you could test drive one but you will probably have to wait until they get some 06s on the lot. The only rubbleings I've heard out there are about the reliability of the CVT Transmission and some people can't seam to get rated fuel mileage. Buying the extended warrenty might not be a bad idea.

Jeff

Old 09-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Regarding hilly conditions, power, and mileage: the best I can offer is an example, from driving over the "grapevine" just north of Los Angeles.

I got gas at the bottom, heading towards L.A., elevation about sea level (0 ft), set cruise control to 65 MPH, and started up the hill. Once the hill begins, the trucks are laboring at 30-45 MPH, many cars are also laboring at 60, and I'm still going 65 MPH (which is the speed limit in this area). Passing many if not most cars, and getting passed by a few.

After about 15 miles, I'm at the top, 4144 ft above sea level, my MPG is at about 26 MPG, my battery is pretty low (it's been recharging a bit as I climb), still going 65 MPH. The car does not seem to be working all that hard, but harder of course than on the flats.

Going back down the hill into L.A., the batter recharges and the MPG starts to rise. By the time I'm down in the San Fernando Valley, it's up to about 48. Driving further through L.A. at 65 MPH (the speed limit through town), my mileage eventually gets back to what I would expect, about 53 MPG.

I've done this a number of times, always with roughly the same results.

That should tell you something about hills, power, passing, and MPG. I would expect the 2006 to have more power and passing ability due to the increased horsepower.

Last edited by coyote; 09-01-2005 at 09:59 PM. Reason: added detail about direction
Old 09-02-2005, 04:50 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I have an 04 HCH, with 40K miles.

During the past winter, in NJ, we had some severe weather and a fair amount of snow. The car performed commendably. Not fabulous, but it met my expectations. One thing you need to remember (my previous ride was a Ford F150) is that the ground clearance is very low, and snow you'd just ramble over without a thought becomes an obstacle to a car with this ground clearance (2 inches of snow can pile up in front of the car. Mileage does tend to dip in the winter.

Old 09-02-2005, 05:09 AM
hyperactive enthusiast

Hey AJ
I'm near the TZ bridge in NY- where are you?
in response to your questions: I got my 05 HCH last feb. Have driven about 7000 miles so far. No problems at all- recall/ computer update done 2 weeks ago with 1st oil change. I got the HCH because my old explorer was dead, and I was tired of driving a big old car around empty all the time.
drove it through a little snow/slush twice- it was fine, though I expect it would have as much trouble as any non 4x in a big snow storm. I know what you mean- we tend to get nothing, or a big dump around here. I don't have a commute- home office- so I tend to avoid snowstorms as a rule.
acceleration- it has plenty of low end torque due to the electric motor. however- at highway speeds- if you're driving for mpg, which I am, you're not going to be passing people on hills. I drive through hilly ct on 81 fairly often (my parents are on the cape) and I 'drive with the load' (slow down up hill, speed up down hill like trucks) averaging around 62-65mph- this nets me between 52-56mpg.
mpg/epa this is the biggest subject here- and why we all buy hybrids. you're the only one who will determine your mpg because it is majorly dependant on YOUR driving style I thought I was a conservative driver- no rabbit starts, usually about 65-70 on the highway- but my first tank on the HCH was 40mpg and I was really frustrated. Then I pumped up my tires, and really started using the guages and trying different styles to try to get my mileage up. are you willing to change your driving style??? I'm not saying you have to drive 15 mph all the time- but you do have to relax and give it a little more time if you want epa or better mpg. drive it like a 'regular car' and you'll get low 40s, accelerate hard & drive fast- high 30s to low 40s. it's all up to you.
and your mileage will go down in the winter- the engine is less efficient when cold- be prepared for that if you get the car late in the fall. Also- there does seem to be a break in period of both car & driver of 3-5000 miles.
I'm not a ct resident- but I have heard from several sources that there is no tax for you. dealer should know- but maybe not- they're idiots, I knew more about the car then he did. and there is a fed credit too. it's changing in in 2006, so will depend on when you get the car.
try and test drive a HCH- look on the honda site for a dealer near you that has one on the lot. there are usually plenty around.
I love this car- my first tank was 40, my current tank is hovering around 57mpg.
good luck & keep us posted!
Kate

Old 09-02-2005, 05:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've also been doing a lot of reasearch on the 2006 HCH. My only concern really is winter driving. I live near chicago and it can get bad over here. Im sure it handles as does any Front Wheel Drive car does. Anyways, all cars usually get less MPG in the winter SO even if it does get 30 MPG it beats getting around 20 MPG. Im interested to see the pricing and options for this car.

And here's a link w/photos of the new civics...the hybrid looks real sharp
http://automobiles.honda.com/civics/index.aspx

Old 09-02-2005, 06:26 AM
Enthusiast

I am in the same boat. I have an 03 Liberty that's only getting about 19mpg. With fuel exponentially increasing, I need to look at alternatives.

I am concerned that we are going to get a bad winter this year. I have always enjoyed the extra piece of mind the 4x4 provides, but $3.16 per gallon is not worth it. I am trying to incorporate the driving suggestion you all have posted out here for you hybrids into my Jeep driving habits.

Here in Ohio, speed limits are 55 or 65 depending on which freeway you are on. I try to stay in the right lane at 63mph. That seems to help with mpg a little. I also coast quite a bit. When I am at lights I just throw the Jeep in park and shut it off.

I really look forward to the time when I can start looking at a hybrid. For all of the highway driving I do, a HCH may be my best bet.

All the info you all have given has been great. Thank you! Please keep it coming.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:38 AM
Enthusiast

While checking into the tax thing I found that they are exempt on sales tax (1300 in my pocket) the 2000 federal deductible, and they are exept from "Car Use Tax". What is car use tax? Is it property tax? Thanks for all the input so far, its been very helpful. I really have a tendency to go fast and pass people, I love the fast lane. So it might take some getting used to.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast

Where can I start for researching Ohio tax laws and the benefits I can receive by purchasing a hybrid?

Quick Reply: Going Hybrid, leaning towards 06 HCH, Need Help!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands