Ham Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:00 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Talking Ham Radio Install

Anyone install a Ham Radio in their HCH II? I'm a new Ham and recently bought a Kenwood Dual Bander 2M/440 for volunteer work and pleasure. When I contacted Honda Corp. they recommended not installing. The service mgr said that's their typical response to any non-Honda accessories. Any details about installation would be appreciated. Thanks, KC2NDC

Old 05-19-2006, 06:30 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default Re: Ham Radio Install

I, too, am a ham. I have not permanently installed my Alinco unit in my car, I just plug it into an adapter from the power point and run it at low power.

I vaguely remember that there is a point where one can run a cable from the trunk to the main cabin. However, since it goes right next to the battery, I was concerned about interference. I never persued it further.

I'd be curious if anyone has any other installation options.

de KB2EEN

Old 05-19-2006, 06:56 AM
06 HCH Opal Blue Pearl

Originally Posted by Donald
Anyone install a Ham Radio in their HCH II? I'm a new Ham and recently bought a Kenwood Dual Bander 2M/440 for volunteer work and pleasure. When I contacted Honda Corp. they recommended not installing. The service mgr said that's their typical response to any non-Honda accessories. Any details about installation would be appreciated. Thanks, KC2NDC
I have a Yaesu FT8800 installed in my 2006 HCH. Not had any issues since November. I just have it pluged into the assy. socket below the radio. Using a mag mount antenna on the roof. I tried the antenna off the trunk, but makes it sort of directional. No issues seen, receive or transmit. I run full power (40 watts) on 146 and 440 bands. Write to me and I will send pictures of the setup, if you want.

Bob, N5KF

Old 05-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

I have a couple of scanner installed in mine, with Two Trunk Lip mount antenna's on the trunk. Work great, with no reception interference.