Happy Thanksgiving!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Happy Thanksgiving!

Where are you taking/did you take your HCH this holiday and how was your mpg?
(I am staying home)

Old 11-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

I got the best mileage today (Wednesday). I went no where and didn't use a single drop of gas

Happy TG!!

Old 11-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Went to Mom's...its in the 30's here and dropped 1 mpg on a 60mpg tank!! It was in the 20's coming home and dropped another. Still got the best mpg in the house!!!

It was just too short of a trip to get the car warmed up enough to level out. I guess I need to block the cold air to the grill??

And the day with family was worth it!!

Old 11-23-2007, 06:30 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by okie mom

It was just too short of a trip to get the car warmed up enough to level out. I guess I need to block the cold air to the grill??

Most definitely !!!!

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 11-23-2007, 12:49 PM

What did you do for thanksgiving MSantos?
Just Kidding. :p

Old 11-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Enthusiast

I drove my princess up highway one, to Big Sur! I let my dad drive, so mileage not as great as usual, but still amazing!

Old 11-26-2007, 02:29 PM

I drove my HCH from the Chicago area down to Hannibal, Missouri, then through central Illinois to a veteran's home to visit my great-uncle, then to my grandmother's, then back home. Lots and lots of driving. I refilled just after leaving home on the first leg of the trip, then got half a tank at $2.95 before leaving Missouri to take advantage of lower gas taxes, and then another half tank or so midway home from rural Illinois when I saw an even lower price, $2.92.

My mpg dropped from 52.2 on the prior 615 miles of regular commute through the suburbs on familiar roads, to 45 mpg on 310 miles of highway driving at higher speeds in colder weather, with two other adults and a bunch of luggage in the car. The middle leg was also 45 mpg, with a little bit of lower-speed 'city' driving, if such it can be called in rural places like the ones I visited. The last leg I managed to spend about 50 miles of the return trip behind a truck or two, not terribly close, but at slower speeds and maybe close enough to make some difference, and as a result, I just barely eked it back up to 52.2 mpg over the last 125 miles or so.

I was definitely NOT a speed demon on this trip, but we weren't in any particular hurry. Not a horrible trip in terms of mpg, all told, but I did cave and use cruise control a few times, especially during the middle portion when everything I tried to finesse went nowhere and my leg was cramping up a bit. I really do feel that cruise control eats away at least a couple mpg in most situations, but I did it anyway. Still, compared to the last time this car took a trip down to my grandmother's, this was fantastic mpg. With my mom driving, colder weather, high winds and a lot more luggage, on those same roads the car got its worst mileage ever- 38.9 mpg. So I'm pleased.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Drove down to Houston from Dallas with a nice tail wind and got 53mpg. Then while in city it got cold and started to rain and brought my tank average down to 48mpg before filling up on the way home. Way home was nasty. The tail wind turned into a head wind with rain, there were 6 accidents on the way (thankfully all of them were just serious fender benders, no injuries) with most of them causing complete stops and inching around at 5-10mph. Got my worst ever long trip mileage at 41mpg and what was supposed to be a 4 1/2 hour trip to a almost 7 hour ordeal.