HCH 2008 won’t start - jumping starts it momentarily but then dies right away

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 03:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default HCH 2008 won’t start - jumping starts it momentarily but then dies right away

I have a HCH 2008. Last summer it completely died on me so I replaced DC/DC converter and it was up and running!

Been driving it with no no problems since September.

All of the sudden winter hits (-20C) and It has been sitting so I needed to jump start it. Drove for a couple days no problem. Sits again for a day so I go to jump start it and it starts... and then 1 minute later dies. Jump it again and it starts, says IMA is charging so I drive it for a few minutes the bring it to my garage and park it. Go inside for a few hours... come back and it won’t turn on at all. Just makes that ‘Click click click’ sound. Jump start it.. starts... dies. Same thing again.

Any suggestions for what could be happening?

The small red and black cords from the 12V were corroded at the terminal but I realized they just go to the alarm system (box with red blinking light). Didn’t see too much other serious corroding but am going to clean out all the different terminals and get the battery charged.

Any other suggestions are much appreciated!

Old 01-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH 2008 won’t start - jumping starts it momentarily but then dies right away

Replace 12V

Replace (-) cable to battery

Replace ground straps from engine/CVT to body I don't remember where they are, but I want to say they attach to the motor mounts on each side.

The ground straps corrode internally where you can't see them, particularly in regions where roads are sanded/salted. With -20°C temps, I would presume you live in such an area.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH 2008 won’t start - jumping starts it momentarily but then dies right away

Yep replace the 12V battery for sure. Even a single complete discharge like that can kill the battery, never mind 2-3 of them. I would definitely have it verified that battery is being charged as well, either at a mechanic or yourself.