HCH Center Antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast

Does anyone know exactly WHY the Hybrid Civic has the center antenna on the roof, while all other Civic models (EX, LX, etc.) have the antenna integrated into the rear windshield? It just seems like a strange difference. If anything, I would think that the roof mounted antenna would ADD drag (granted, not very much) over the other models.

Garrett
gar1138

Old 08-26-2004, 02:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Found this on the first Google search I tried:

"High Mount Roof Antenna
The Civic Hybrid has a high mount roof antenna. Its location helps prevent interference that may occur from the advanced electronics in other parts of the vehicle. The antenna is isolated from interference sources and enhances reception. The antenna can pivot 90 degrees on its center mounted roof mount and quickly unscrews for car washes. Non-hybrid Civic sedans and coupes use a rear window glass integrated antenna."

Will post more info as I googlocate it....

Old 08-26-2004, 02:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think we have a Winner:

The antenna (posted on the roof…the regular Civic’s antennae are embedded in the rear window…due to the battery pack for the hybrid being right under the window, the interference would mess up the embedded antenna)

Oh, the Power of Google !!!

Old 08-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Enthusiast

I guess that makes sense. I was thinking about it from a wind drag standpoint. I suppose having a large power source right next to the antenna would induce some interference. :-)

Garrett
gar1138

Old 08-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Contributor ($)

Actually, I think it was put there so I can differentiate it from the non-hybrid Civics on the highway.

Old 08-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you don't like the antenna I know someone that got our dealer to order a shorter antenna. It looks like one that goes on the S2000.

Billy

Old 08-28-2004, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I've only got about 3" of clearance above the roofline in my garage. That antenna is not gonna cut it. Too bad the regular Civic antenna will not work.

Old 08-28-2004, 06:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

I will try to post a picture of the one I am talking about.

Billy

Old 08-31-2004, 12:50 PM
Enthusiast

That's one of the things I absolutely do not like about my HCH. It does help me ID other hybrids, though -- when I'm not mistaking them for a Ford Focus.

Old 09-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Enthusiast

Yeah, I'd love to get a shorter antenna for my HCH, especially with it currently going over the moonroof hole. I'd also like to have one that didn't wag in the breeze so much.

Looking forward to seeing the picture of the one you're talking about. Post all the details: price, vendor, part number and price if you can snag it. Heck, if I can't get my dealer to order it, I'll go through the one you mentioned.

Quick Reply: HCH Center Antenna?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands