HCH Class Action Lawsuit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Ann
Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH Class Action Lawsuit?

I have a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid that gets less gas mileage than my daughter's 2005 honda civic. (Not a hybrid) I get 27 to 32 mpg city and 35 to 38 highway. This is unacceptable. I paid alot more for the hybrid than just the regular civic would have cost me. $100.00 is such a joke as a settlement. Something is definitely wrong here. I have always bought Honda cars but this has left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I will go elsewhere from now on.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Theatrical Technician

Ann,

Either there is something wrong with your '06 Honda or you are just too heavy on the pedal. This car is no powerhouse.

Did you take it to a Honda dealership for service?
What did the mechanic or service technician say?
I have a '08 Civic Hybrid and get between 48 and 58 MPG.
With air conditioning it goes down to the low 40's MPG.
Keep it under 2500 RPM, keep it under 65 MPH, avoid accelerating uphill.
Works for me!

Last edited by steve1mac; 08-30-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Ann
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have taken it in to the dealer and they keep saying that it happens and that different situations can cause such mileage. I never drive anywhere near 65 unless I'm on the highway. I don't have an iron foot, (my daughter hates riding with me because I won't go as fast as she does). I coast down hills and try and stay under the 2 hp mark when going up hills. Believe me this is why I have a bad taste in my mouth. A friend of mine has an 2007 and hers is like yours. I have chatted with a few 2006 hch owners and it seems like this is a year with alot of unhappy owners.

When I see what hch owners have to do to get good mileage, it is enough for me to say enough of the hybrid. Honda owes me as explanation. I go in for another recall next week (battery) and will hit them up once more about my problem. This will be about the 3rd or 4th recall. I can't remember. I am going to speak to the GM there because he knows my familys record of buying hondas. They treat me like I don't know what I'm talking about and I'm really tired of it. I think that the year of the hch has alot to do with my problem.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ann
Thanks for your reply. Yes I have taken it in to the dealer and they keep saying that it happens and that different situations can cause such mileage. I never drive anywhere near 65 unless I'm on the highway. I don't have an iron foot, (my daughter hates riding with me because I won't go as fast as she does). I coast down hills and try and stay under the 2 hp mark when going up hills. Believe me this is why I have a bad taste in my mouth. A friend of mine has an 2007 and hers is like yours. I have chatted with a few 2006 hch owners and it seems like this is a year with alot of unhappy owners.

When I see what hch owners have to do to get good mileage, it is enough for me to say enough of the hybrid. Honda owes me as explanation. I go in for another recall next week (battery) and will hit them up once more about my problem. This will be about the 3rd or 4th recall. I can't remember. I am going to speak to the GM there because he knows my familys record of buying hondas. They treat me like I don't know what I'm talking about and I'm really tired of it. I think that the year of the hch has alot to do with my problem.
hey Ann - the term is actually "lead foot." :-)

I have a 2006 HCH2 and I am getting 50 MPG after about 300 miles on the current tank so far.

In hot climates the battery pack is only good for about 3 years or fifty thousand miles, after which it should be changed. The actual time and mileage does vary widely by user, but its pretty clear that the original design of the car was inconsistent with long term usability of the hybrid battery pack. Software updates are generally useless and potentially harmful, depending on the condition of the battery at time of update and the actual update. The data is becoming pretty clear.

Your mileage to me means the IMA is not functioning. Period. lack of acceleration ( the car is actually quite zippy I find) and low mileage means IMA/Assist malfunction. Although air conditioning use and tire pressure, as well as trunk content weight have a large impact on mpg, only a lack of assist could get overall mileage down to 32 mpg and a lack of acceleration.

I had my battery pack replaced at 55,000 after quite a bit of recals and the usual stuff we all talk about. I'd just pay for the next one rather than let Honda write and install software on my car designed to save themselves money and preserve sales margin.

The car and the dealership have been very good to me thus far.

Last edited by rysa4; 09-03-2010 at 12:23 AM. Reason: added a line
Old 09-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Ann
Enthusiast

Sorry about that. I don't have a "lead foot" and I meant IMA instead of HP also. I haven't gotten my car in for the recall yet but I don't expect any further help. My dealership really doesn't seem to know much about hybrids. The blank look on the service people face's tell me that. I have gone on other forums and see that there is a suit for 2006 HCH. You are lucky yours is fine. Maybe I'll print out this page and take it with me. Thanks for your info.