HCH EV mode

Old 06-23-2005, 06:29 AM
Brains of the Operation
Default HCH EV mode

I can't remember how I originally stumbled across this:

Officially, the electric motor isn't able to drive the car itself but provides useful assistance to the gasoline engine during heavy load situations like accelerating. However, owners including the editor has verified that the vehicle is able to run on electric motor alone for a short distance after running out of fuel.
Has anybody else verified this? I'm not too eager to actually run my HCH out of fuel to see for myself, but it's sort of neat to think that if our cars run out of fuel, we have some extra legs to get to that gas station around the corner.

Old 06-23-2005, 07:56 AM
Site Founder
Default Re: HCH EV mode

I find this extremely unlikely from everything I've learned in the past couple years. I think he's gotten the Prius' ability confused with the Civic's. Integrated Motor Assist relies mostly on the engine while Hybrid Synergy Drive relies mostly on the motor.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:20 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I have never been able to make my HCH work without the ICE.

I did consider cutting out a panel under my feet to make like a Flintmobile, but my wife (bless her) convinced me otherwise. I would've called it FM (feet mode).

Old 06-23-2005, 09:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I do recall hearing an Insight driver writing about this. It was from InsightCentral, the author's name was Resist.
He stated that the engine failed to start, but the dash and electrical stayed live. This allowed him to drive off the street in electric mode only. But the battery was pulled down quickly.

The Insight and HCH IMA systems are very similar. Battery capacity is close. So it sounds like it is possible, under the right conditions and for short duration.

Regards,

Old 06-23-2005, 10:51 AM
now Insight, had an HCH

Someone mentioned running out of gas a few years ago on the HCHYahooGroups Forum. I believe they said that they were at a creep (3 MPH) and were able to get off the road safely.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___The 2000 Insight’s before ECU update #1 could run about 1 mile in EV mode although the MG-Set was spinning the ICE along with the wheels. A friend of mine has actually done this in his own 00 5-speed a few years back. After ECU flash #1, that capability went away. It was a mistake by the Honda Engineers and was not truly to be used for propulsion given that dead ICE was being spun for no reason other then it was not clutched or releasable from the MG-Set.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-28-2005, 09:57 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: HCH EV mode

To all hch users in this post or thread and forum, Warning!!!! do not attempt this when far away from the nearest gas station or your own house unless ur either very near ur house or unless u feel like paying a tow truck to tow u lol. i've experenced this and its not actually ev mode only. when ur extremely low on gas and the check engine light comes on the engine turns on and off continuously allowing u to go from 0-7mph to the nearest gas station or your house,this does the same even in park. i have goten my ima battery down to 3 bars til it woudlnt start anymore and the conventional starter kicks in only.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Enthusiast

I believe I just read in the owners manual last night (just got my '05 HCH yesterday) that you should NEVER let the gas run out as it will damage something. I will look up the exact quote.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Enthusiast

the quote ur looking for is catalytic converter if im correct lol