HCH-I engine material...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default HCH-I engine material...

Hello, I was wondering if the HCH-I engine is made out of the same lightweight components as the insight's engine? I have heard lots of stories of the insight's engine not being very durable under stressful situations and i am just wondering if the HCH-I is in the same boat?

thank you

Old 12-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Default Re: HCH-I engine material...

I don't know off the top of my head, but I haven't heard anyone ever having engine problems in a civic hybrid yet.

Old 12-18-2005, 07:54 AM
now Insight, had an HCH

OK, just went to the Honda "Owners Link" page and it lists that the engine is aluminum. That is the same as the Insight. That being said, I have yet to hear of either an HCH or Insight have engine problems. OK, I did hear of an Insight with 200,000+ miles and the engine went out.

The transmissions are normally the weak point. CVT on both and the manual on the Insight.

Old 12-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Enthusiast

____Well on insightcentral.com there was a story of a guy who admitted that he "drives spiritedly" with his insight and said that his car has had many problems with the engine and has needed many repairs. Now i'm not talking about 100% spirited driving but if i want to romp on my car every once in awhile i don't expect it to have any engine problems as a result. This has been the only thing holding me back form getting a hybrid because i do not want to have lots of engine problems, especially since the engine parts are more expensive.

The other car i am considering is a Toyota Matrix XR FWD, 5spd. for it's gas mileage and roomy interior since i am 6'7"

Also...how do you think i would fit in the HCH-I ?

Old 12-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phish117
..how do you think i would fit in the HCH-I ?
Carefully?

How do you fit four elephants in a VW beetle?

Two up front and two in the back.

How do fit four giraffes in a VW beetle?

You take out the elephants and put in the giraffes.

How do you add in a baby giraffe?

Carefully.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:29 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phish117
Hello, I was wondering if the HCH-I engine is made out of the same lightweight components as the insight's engine? I have heard lots of stories of the insight's engine not being very durable under stressful situations and i am just wondering if the HCH-I is in the same boat?

thank you
If I'm not mistaken, the Insight has a lightweight plastic composite manifold, as well as electronically assisted balancing (to eliminate crankshaft counter weights) for weight savings. Also, the Insight has an I-VTEC engine; I don't believe the HCH-I has that.

Bill