HCH owner sues Honda over mileage claims

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Banned
Default Re: HCH owner sues Honda over mileage claims

Originally Posted by okie mom
Is it just me or would a guy have to actually try to make the car fail??

Stupid people shouldn't be allowed to purchase these cars, ha ha!
We need tort reform: when this guy loses, then make him the defendant in a frivilous lawsuit and make an example of him! After a few of those kind of trials, only those that really need justice will take the legal option - as it was meant to be. In the process it will save everybody money.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Jazz Pianists are quite the group of perfectionists. The thought that others are getting what he cant probably isnt sitting too well. Maybe he is in traffic all of the time. Even on the worst of driving conditions, I can't get down to 32 MPG.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by rysa4
Even on the worst of driving conditions, I can't get down to 32 MPG.
Me neither... even in the middle of winter with six inches of snow on the ground. Course maybe that's what kenny means by "accelerate like a snail"

Old 07-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nark
the guy lives in ontario, cali. It was 95 yesterday and today. Sorry, but if you are running AC on MAX, you will be gettin 10-15 mpg less than without AC or minimum AC useage.
You bring up a good point. I live in AZ and get anywhere from 8-10 MPG less with the AC on. Now I know I will do better come fall when I don't have to use the AC like in March when I averaged 51.9 MPG w/o AC. I did read the article and he does have some valid points. Honda and all the other auto makers clam higher MPG vs. real world results. I believe Honda and other auto makers would test new vehicles on a treadmill at 45 mph w/o any wind or AC on, this was the could see the best mpg they could achieve and go with that. Now it has change and Toyota's new commercials do not claim to achieve 60 MPG. Now they only say Americas most fuel efficient car. I love my HCH and I knew going in my MPG would be a lot less in the summer vs. winter. But here in AZ I can deal will 3 months of bad MPG and 9 months of great weather and great MPG.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I don't know what's worse -- that some idiot leadfoot decided to sue, or that he found a lawyer willing to represent him. Once again I am reminded of that old riddle:

Q What do you call 10,000 dead lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?
A. A good start

Old 07-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gumby
"The lawsuit claims American Honda Motor Co. has misled consumers in its advertisements and on its Web site. The suit notes that while the Environmental Protection Agency and automobile window stickers say "mileage will vary," some Honda advertisements read "mileage mayvary." That implies that it's possible to get the mileage advertised, said William H. Anderson, a Washington, D.C., attorney for True."

I got better than the EPA estimate on my way to work today (54), and again on my way back home tonight (52)!

It's SUCH a stupid, flimsy argument that it may actually win

It may just be yet another example of people that have NO IDEA what MPG they were getting before (compared to the vehicle's EPA estimate), but now that they're in a hybrid - by God it better hit the numbers, no matter what the driving parameters are.
That is so true... but hybrids are sold on the premise of great FE. Other cars are not.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:48 AM

Anybody have a way to find out if this guy has been involved in other law suits. This whole things smells of 15 minutes of fame.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Banned

Hybrids are sold on the promise of better FE, but only relative to a non-hybrid (i.e. conventional Civic). This is like diet programs, gym memberships - varied results.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:11 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

You can go to the gym all you want thinking you'll lose weight... but if you continue to eat 6,000 calories a day you'll never lose weight!

On the same token, you can buy a hybrid thinking you'll get better mpg, but if you continue to floor it, do jackrabbit starts from the light, pass everyone to get in front of them just to stop at the next light, don't coast/cruise, don't try to use EV-Assist, etc, etc, etc... you'll never get better mpg!

I have completely changed my driving habits in my HCH over my Chevy Cavalier, which I was getting about 19-21mpg (275-300 miles on 14 gallons). I just turned over 4,000 miles in 3 months on the HCH, and have achieved 608 and 618 miles on my last 2 tanks averaging 50-51mpg with 80% city driving. And my mpg keeps getting better as the car breaks in and I learn how to drive the road and not fight the road... I also don't use the A/C (unless it gets over 95 or so - In Sacramento that means July and August). On a side note, I never used it in the Cavalier either! I just drive with the fan on.

Now, my wife had the car the first 3 tanks and averaged 39 mpg and about 400 miles a tank. She never wanted to learn how to "drive" the car. She just wanted to DRIVE the car. She also drove with the A/C on all the time. With everything against her, I thought she got pretty good mileage (2.5x what she used to get on our Chevy Venture).

I've heard from some living in SoCal that they get great mileage on their HCH even with all the hills. So I can only imagine what this guy would have to do to get an unbelievable 26mpg!

Old 07-12-2007, 08:37 PM

Very good fuel economy is attainable in the HCH II.
It would be tough to consistently get sub-40mpg without very bad/cold weather.

Quick Reply: HCH owner sues Honda over mileage claims

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands