HCH Steath. Does it work TOO good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

One selling point of the HCH is that it looks like just another Civic.
"Stealthy" if you will.
If you know what to look for you can easily see the difference:

The roof mounted antenna and the HYBRID on the back is the most
obvious, but the "untrained" eye wouldn't know one from the other.

Last month I was lucky to spy a Civic by the top mast and managed along
side at a light. It was easy to say "hey" because he had his window open.
It was a nice brief conversation.
So....
There are times when I'd love to indicate to a fellow HCH or Prius driver
"Hey! Nice car......I'm driving a Hybrid too!" while going side by side down the road.

How do other HCH drivers communicate?
Or do you?
You know, a brief "How ya doin'... nice car"
and then move on. A thumbs up to a Prius driver indicates you like his car but they problably look at your Civic and thinks it's a crummy run-of-the-mill 'ol ICE car.

Mabe I'm just too friendly.
Steve

Old 04-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast

I've seen 2 other HCH's in Charlotte. Of course, they could've been the same one. I thought I saw another hybrid parked next to mine last night because of the antenna but it was a Ford Focus. So, I haven't met any other owners yet although I had someone wanting to buy one after I got my windows tinted Saturday. They couldn't believe the mileage I was getting (and I haven't even gotten EPA mileage yet). Everyone keeps asking if I have to plug it in, though.

Old 04-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

2 weeks ago my family piled into our HCH and went to Charleston SC. I didn't see any other hybrids at all, but a passenger in a Civic EX was quite obviously scanning all over our dashboard (My wife said "Whaddya' spose she's lookin' at?) but at the time it didn't "click" because I forgot I was driving a hybrid (?)

I get alot of "Well the mileage is outstanding but I wouldn't want to fool with plugging it in all the time".

I was just wondering for those who see Prius/Insight/HCH more often how do they "Howdy wave" and say "Me too!"
Steve

Old 04-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Enthusiast

I live in Arlington, VA (DC Area) so I've seen a fair number of Hybrids (10 or so in the last month) -- mostly HCH and Prius V1 and V2. I always flash my high beams when I see one (BMW 2002 drivers used to do this with other 2002s) but I've yet to get any sort of response. I guess they aren't as excited about the car as I am -- I figured at least the HCH drivers would respond........

Andrew

Old 04-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Enthusiast

After thinking about my last post for a few seconds, the reason no one ever flashes back is because they are probably looking at their MPG display......

Old 04-23-2004, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast

Here in the Sacramento area there are quite a few Hybrids running around. Each time I see one I try to get their attention by flashing my lights, getting next to them, ramming them :o .... you name it I have tried it. Not once have I got a response from anyone.

Old 07-01-2004, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast

In Fort Worth, I know of at least three (3) Insights. During the last six months I think I have spotted about 6 other Civic Hybrid's around my side of town. It is funny, but I have only spotted one Prius (version 2) and that was north of here at the University of North Texas.
There is definately a community feeling when I see another Civic Hybrid or Insight. We always wave at each other and smile, like we are all in on a private joke.
I tried to get my Brother-in-Law to buy a Hybrid, but he had his heart set on an Accord. What annoys me is that he bought a fully loaded EX-V6 today. If only he had waited til this fall he could have at least gotten an Accord Hybrid.

Joe

Old 07-02-2004, 05:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

when i went to indianapolis i spotted 2 classic prius and a 04prius. the 04 was black and it had fog lights so it could have been a package 9 so i started screaming, pointing and waving at the lady but she didnt see me b/c the A-pillar was in the way <_< cause i want a #9 black

Old 07-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Enthusiast

Don't suppose any of you HCH drivers live in Garland Texas? My wife and I were walking the dogs and less than a block from my house was not one but TWO HCH's side by side!! I was thrilled to see I had moved into a classy neighborhood. I looked in and they both had the same Bible study guide in the back seat, so I am guessing there is a church nearby that has some ecofriendly folks attending.

It was cool to see them and if it wasn't raining, I would have tried to leave a note.

Old 07-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Enthusiast

Originally posted by AndyT@Jul 2nd 2004 @ 4:51 PM
Don't suppose any of you HCH drivers live in Garland Texas? My wife and I were walking the dogs and less than a block from my house was not one but TWO HCH's side by side!! I was thrilled to see I had moved into a classy neighborhood. I looked in and they both had the same Bible study guide in the back seat, so I am guessing there is a church nearby that has some ecofriendly folks attending.

It was cool to see them and if it wasn't raining, I would have tried to leave a note.

I try to stay away from that side of the Metroplex. I went to Lewisville the other day and ended up getting a ticket - first one in 21 years- jeez I drive a Civic Hybrid!!! GET THIS, I pulled over and asked the cop for directions; he immediately stated that I made an illegal turn and that he was going to cite me. He didn't even offer to give me directions.
Lewisville, lovely town. :blink: I have heard the stories about Garland cops, so I don't think I will ever find out how many HCH there are there.

Joe