HCHI CVT Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 08:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default HCHI CVT Fluid Change

Dealer recommended CVT fluid change at 30k mi. Anyone out there actually done this service? Tell me about it, I'm curious.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Default Re: HCHI CVT Fluid Change

Yeup... every 30mi. I've done it twice now. Of all the things to skip on... don't skip on this service.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:32 PM

IS it like an auto tranny fluid change? With the primary component a drive belt, I just don't get where the oil goes and what it lubes... certainly not the belt and pulleys.

Old 02-18-2006, 06:16 AM
now Insight, had an HCH

I didn't have this performed at the dealer but did do it myself. ( HOW-TO LINK )

Out of any problems I've ever heard about the HCH I the most have been about the CVT. So far I've changed my fluid about every 18,000 miles with fluid specifically from the dealer. From what I've learned any other type of fluid (I'm a fanatic for synthetic) is too slick for the belts and will actually ruin the transmission over time from the belts slipping. I guess the fluid keeps the belts cool?

As far as it being like any other automatic tranmission fluid change it is MUCH easier. Drain & Refill. No filter to worry about. The easiest automatic transmission fluid I've ever changed.

Either doing it yourself or having the dealer perform the service just get it done soon! Do not let this MX item slide by, the sooner you have it done the better.

Old 02-18-2006, 09:36 AM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: HCHI CVT Fluid Change

Originally Posted by rigger
I didn't have this performed at the dealer but did do it myself. ( HOW-TO LINK )

Out of any problems I've ever heard about the HCH I the most have been about the CVT. So far I've changed my fluid about every 18,000 miles with fluid specifically from the dealer. From what I've learned any other type of fluid (I'm a fanatic for synthetic) is too slick for the belts and will actually ruin the transmission over time from the belts slipping. I guess the fluid keeps the belts cool?

As far as it being like any other automatic tranmission fluid change it is MUCH easier. Drain & Refill. No filter to worry about. The easiest automatic transmission fluid I've ever changed.

Either doing it yourself or having the dealer perform the service just get it done soon! Do not let this MX item slide by, the sooner you have it done the better.
Hey zimbop;
I think Al has just said it all in this Post. Everything that I have researched about the CVT says keep the Fluid Changes done and on a Timely Basis, as Al has Pointed out here in his Post.

A very Cheap and trouble Free Maintenance Item for sure.

Hi-Al

HTH;

Terry

Old 05-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I had not heard of this yet and my question is...how often should we do this? I ask becuase I hear 30K and 18k in this post and that is a big difference.

Thank you

Old 05-07-2006, 06:34 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Book (your owners manual) says 30K. "MY" preference was every 18-20K. Have you ever priced what it is to replace a CVT? Changing it sooner than what the manual says is VERY VERY VERY cheap insurance. (honestly I can't say VERY enough times) The choice is yours if you want to go with what the book says, nothing wrong with that.

Actually, the CVT going out in my HCH was something I was scared to death of once my warranty ran out. I am fully capable of replacing it myself and have the tools and means (lift) as well but the price was just crazy. I wish I would of bought one on eBay back in 2003 that I saw that was still in the shipping crate, it only sold for $850.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rigger
Book (your owners manual) says 30K.
I have the '06 and in the '06 manual it does not say when, it tells you that the car will tell you when and that makes me a bit nervous. I guess I am used to doing things every ___ miles.

Thank you for the info, if I do not see it by then (30k) I will do it for sure.

Thanks