Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Hello Everyone ! Newbie needs advice! (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/hello-everyone-newbie-needs-advice-4685/)

powerglide 11-22-2005 09:01 AM

Hello Everyone ! Newbie needs advice!

I have been reading but this is the first time posting.
Please bear with me if some of this has been discussed already.

I almost purchased a 06 Hybrid (Silver/blue) last night.
It was on the lot and they would sell it to me for MSRP.

The questions I have are:

-Are Nav equipped cars available (this dealer said not till Jan)
-Is it true that after Jan, the 2000$ tax credit becomes $500 (if so is this a big deal)
-They sell 7 year extended warranties for additional 1495 (buy or not buy?)

Thank you very much in advance!

Tom

lars-ss 11-22-2005 09:09 AM

Re: Hello Everyone ! Newbie needs advice!

Good Questions !!

1. I'm pretty sure the NAV equipped HCHs are on the road in the USA already.

2. The tax situation is just the opposite - it becomes LARGER in Jan 2006, not smaller.

3. I paid about that for my extended warranty - if you plan to keep the car that long, it's a fine idea. It's like "insurance against breakdowns."

powerglide 11-22-2005 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Good Questions !!

1. I'm pretty sure the NAV equipped HCHs are on the road in the USA already.

2. The tax situation is just the opposite - it becomes LARGER in Jan 2006, not smaller.

3. I paid about that for my extended warranty - if you plan to keep the car that long, it's a fine idea. It's like "insurance against breakdowns."

Thank you!

Can you please tell me more about the tax situation?

The IRS web site states it will be 500$ credit starting Jan-06....is it being adjusted some other way?

moosh 11-22-2005 09:30 AM

When you do your 2006 taxes in early 2007, you'll get $2,100 back from the gov't in the form of a tax "credit" and not a tax "deduction". The difference is that a "credit" is a dollar-for-dollar return and can be done without having to itemize your tax deductions (just the 1040 form)

This tax credit only exists for a certain amount of cars from each manufacturer. However, once that number is reached, it's still good for something like 6 months.

Oh and by the way, the HCH was just named car of the year.

Booyah!

lars-ss 11-22-2005 09:30 AM

You must be mis-reading the site, or it's a 2005 tax year info page.

Here is a good story on the tax info:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...energy/3408619

powerglide 11-22-2005 09:50 AM

Great!!

So no need to rush then.....I am moving to LA in Jan-06 so I won't be needing the HOV special treatment till then anyways :)

Regardging the HOV pass, is that only good for 2007?
Is it back to the plebian lanes after Jan08?

PS I tried to order one now and they told me the cheapest they will let me order one is MSRP+1000.....so I said no thanks. From what I read here, its possible to buy one at sticker correct? (especailly if I preorder and wait)

PPS How many of you folks popped for the extended warranty?

Tim 11-22-2005 09:57 AM

I got the extended warranty - initial offer was the same as yours ($1495) but after straddling the fence for 15 minutes they dropped to $1195 and I took it. Its the first car where I ever bought one. I bought into the dealer hype (so many expensive computers, relatively new technology, etc.) They (the Honda dealership) said that most hybrid owners get one, but what else are they going to say... My factory has run out, but things are still OK (45K).

zimbop 11-22-2005 10:07 AM

If you ask me, I say forget the extended warranty, that's why you buy a honda, because it's supposed to last more than that without major problems. That said, the cost of just one major repair could easily exceed the cost of the warranty. Be sure you understand what kind of work is covered, it's no good if you get down the road and the the problem you have isn't covered.

NASAgineer 11-22-2005 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by powerglide
I have been reading but this is the first time posting.

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good people & info here.

-Are Nav equipped cars available (this dealer said not till Jan)

They're out there, but not at all dealers. He probably just means that you have to wait for his next allocation (shipment). I got mine (with Navi) at MSRP. I went to the Honda website, did 'price your civic' and clicked the button to request an online quote from a local dealer. I requested quotes from about 30 dealers in a 100 mile radius and found several willing to sell for MSRP. I gave preference to ones that actually had a VIN number for the car ( which means it has left Japan or is about to and is 3-5 weeks away), then picked the dealer closest to me. Put down a deposit and wait! It seems like dealers are getting shipments about once a month.

-They sell 7 year extended warranties for additional 1495 (buy or not buy?)

I paid $995 for the 7yr/120k extended warranty. You don't have to buy it from the dealer where you bought the car, or even when you buy the car. You can buy it from any Honda dealer as long as your car has < 6000 miles (after that I think you can still buy it, but it gets more expensive). I googled 'hondacare' and found several honda dealers selling it online. The best deal I found was here:

http://jayhondacare.com/Civic_Hybrid.htm

I printed out the quote and took it to my dealer when I bought the car and they matched the price. Regardless of where you buy it, it's the same warranty, and can be used at any Honda dealer.

Good luck, and tell us how it goes!

lars-ss 11-22-2005 10:11 AM

The good thing about those warranties from the dealership (at least the last two I bought, GM and now Honda) is that if you dont ever use the warranty, you get a pro-rated refund when you sell or trade the car. I got $500 back on my last GM warranty at trade time.