Hello Everyone ! Newbie needs advice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hello Everyone ! Newbie needs advice!

Originally Posted by powerglide
Regardging the HOV pass, is that only good for 2007?
Is it back to the plebian lanes after Jan08?
That's the current plan, although they could extend it. No one knows at this point.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

-Is it true that after Jan, the 2000$ tax credit becomes $500 (if so is this a big deal)
Here's the source of the confusion.

What you wrote was true, based on the old law.
You can see here -
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...107766,00.html
that the current $2000 deduction is supposed to drop to $500 in 2006.

However, the energy bill that passed in August 2005 introduced a tax credit for hybrids. That tax credit is not reflected yet on the IRS site because the necessary regulations have not been put together. Based on private interpretations of the new law people are estimating that the tax credit for the HCH will be about $2100. But that's not official. We have to wait for word from the IRS to know the exact credit amount.

The difference between the old deduction and the new credit is substantial. For most people a $2000 tax deduction is worth about $500 net. A $2000 credit is $2000 net.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you everyone for the great info and blazing fast replies!!

I think I'm going to get one but wait till Jan, till after the tax deduction becomes a tax credit

I wish Honda had better financing deals.....the best I could get out of them is 3.99% and I have great credit. I suppose thats still pretty good. (Infiniti has got 1.99% promotions....)

Old 11-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

3.99% is nothing to sneeze at - that's a great rate for an HCH under any circumstances....

Old 11-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good people & info here.
Thankyou! Are you really a NASA Engineer? (I was at Langley, now contract work for JPL

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
I paid $995 for the 7yr/120k extended warranty. You don't have to buy it from the dealer where you bought the car, or even when you buy the car. You can buy it from any Honda dealer as long as your car has < 6000 miles (after that I think you can still buy it, but it gets more expensive). I googled 'hondacare' and found several honda dealers selling it online. The best deal I found was here:

http://jayhondacare.com/Civic_Hybrid.htm

I printed out the quote and took it to my dealer when I bought the car and they matched the price. Regardless of where you buy it, it's the same warranty, and can be used at any Honda dealer.

Good luck, and tell us how it goes!
This is GREAT! I am SOOO glad I didn't buy last night....whew!
They wanted 1895 and I talked them down to 1295, then on the final summary they bumped it back up to 1495.....crooks! (plus in retropect they BS'd me about the tax saying it now or never, they told me the nav for the civic is different from the ones in other hondas and that they suck, and also told me the AC doesnt work in engine stop mode....all lies!! Actually they just phoned to follow up so I called them on these points to which they replied "I never said that"

Old 11-22-2005, 11:04 AM

Thankyou! Are you really a NASA Engineer? (I was at Langley, now contract work for JPL
I work at Ames as a software engineer on the Kepler project (http://kepler.nasa.gov). We're launching a space telescope in 2008 to search for earth-like planets orbiting other stars. Our pre-launch mission management is at JPL, and I was down there a couple of months ago. We got a very cool tour of the MER (Mars Rovers) mission ops.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast

Far out!

I am working the NuSTAR X-ray telescope, set to launch 2009, looks for black holes.
Glad to have the opportunity to help design and run simulations of the payload stucture.
I was up ther a week ago and the guys who built the rovers robotic arm showed me their stuff too! Small world.......talk about going off topic

Old 11-22-2005, 11:31 AM

NASAgineer's mission beats powerglide's mission.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
NASAgineer's mission beats powerglide's mission.
They go hand-in-hand. The NuSTAR will help us find black holes, and then worm holes that we can then use to travel to the M-class planets that Kepler finds

Ok, NOW it's OT

Old 11-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast

Its all good!

It beats the hell out of making weapons.

Last edited by powerglide; 11-22-2005 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Hello Everyone ! Newbie needs advice!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands