Help with my hybrid! (03 civic)

Old 04-20-2019, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Help with my hybrid! (03 civic)

So the other day I’m driving along listening to music and my car starts to act like it wants to stall, so I keep driving... then I think I hear some noise and yep, when I push my gas pedal ticking noise! It’s super dark and scary so I don’t pull over then I see that it’s over heated big time! Finally the car starts to die out completely so I have no choice but to pull over and lots of smoke is coming from under my hood! I look and it seems I lost my pressure valve bolt and blew all my water out! So I get her towed home put more water in her while she was cooled off checked the oil and tried to start her... she seems like she’s starting but shuts back off?!?! Help!?!?,?

Old 04-22-2019, 12:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help with my hybrid! (03 civic)

Originally Posted by Alicia Jackson Martin
So the other day I’m driving along listening to music and my car starts to act like it wants to stall, so I keep driving... then I think I hear some noise and yep, when I push my gas pedal ticking noise! It’s super dark and scary so I don’t pull over then I see that it’s over heated big time! Finally the car starts to die out completely so I have no choice but to pull over and lots of smoke is coming from under my hood! I look and it seems I lost my pressure valve bolt and blew all my water out! So I get her towed home put more water in her while she was cooled off checked the oil and tried to start her... she seems like she’s starting but shuts back off?!?! Help!?!?,?
Car overheated dramatically because either the water pump failed or the belt driving it fell off. (Assuming there is one, on most cars there is.) Short overheating events are not too bad but if you ran it so hot the radiator blew up, which is what it sounds like, you might as well send it to the junk yard now. My daughter did the same thing to a Mazda and it had a series of problems ever after. Gaskets blowing, burning oil, etc. etc. So while you might be able to get it working again, the odds are super high it will keep giving you problems. The car is only worth a couple of hundred dollars, save your repair money and put it towards a new vehicle. And learn your lesson - do not keep driving an overheating car!