High pitched squeaking noise after FAS into reboot

Old 01-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default High pitched squeaking noise after FAS into reboot

I think there's been some threads about this but I can't find them. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'll do an FAS to a red light, start my car back up, and then I'll hear a errrkkkkkkkerrrrkkkkkk. Am I hurting my car? I want to have it forever!!! I have a 03 HCH CVT.

Old 01-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: High pitched squeaking noise after FAS into reboot

I think a errrkkkkkkkerrrrkkkkkk sound can't be good!

Mine will do that if I restart while rolling over 40-ish MPG so I avoid doing so.

Old 01-28-2006, 10:17 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by bigbearballs
I think there's been some threads about this but I can't find them. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'll do an FAS to a red light, start my car back up, and then I'll hear a errrkkkkkkkerrrrkkkkkk. Am I hurting my car? I want to have it forever!!! I have a 03 HCH CVT.
Are you restarting in "N" or "D"? Or, maybe the 12V starter is trying to engage along with the motor? Or, when was the last time you fed the chipmunks?

Old 01-28-2006, 11:05 AM

I restart in N always. That's funny, when I P&G, I don't get the noise. It's when I restart after coming to a stop. Should I stop my FAS?

Old 01-28-2006, 12:19 PM
04 prius 350,000km

ya maybe you should... the extra cents isn't worth the maintainence!

edit after a few months later: no don't! Its probably a wrong doing on your part.

Last edited by philmcneal; 03-19-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:47 PM
World's First Hybrid

I can't be 100% sure without looking/hearing but it sure sounds like the serpentine belt may be slipping. If that's the case, it's not expensive to have it checked out and replaced. For some reason it may be glazed over and that's what is causing the high pitched squeeling sound.

Old 01-28-2006, 04:09 PM

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by xcel
Hi BigBearBalls:

___This doesn’t sound right or good? How about Park, Start up, shift to D and carry on. Do you still have the screech under that condition?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
I'll give that a try Wayne. I'll report back what happens. I'm taking my car in for an oil change, I will have the mechanic look at that belt. Thanks for the help. This is not happening to anyone else???

Old 01-28-2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
Are you restarting in "N" or "D"? Or, maybe the 12V starter is trying to engage along with the motor? Or, when was the last time you fed the chipmunks?
I think there is no starter motor, at least not on the 06. The ICE is started by the IMA.

As for that screech, I had something like that on my old Mitsubishi. The dealer couldn't fix it. Finally another mechanic had the courage to tighten the alternator belt and it went away. Your problem may be different, but check any belts for wear or looseness.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:11 PM
04 prius 350,000km

so what was the problem at the end bigbear? and Elanc there was a starter motor for the hch 03-05 and i'm sure there's one for the 06 as well. Honda always has a backup plan if the main traction battery can't give the power to turn on the ICE.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High pitched squeaking noise after FAS into reboot

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands