High Tire Pressure Equals Poorer Braking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default High Tire Pressure Equals Poorer Braking?

I have had my HCH for 3000 miles now, and recently upped the tire pressure to 40psi. I drive down a hill with a stop sigh at the bottom everyday. I notice my ABS kicking in a bit at the bottom after increasing the pressure. I have also noticed this other places. The tires seem to hop a little easier than at 34psi, I think this could be dangerous. What do you think?

Old 01-08-2006, 08:54 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: High Tire Pressure Equals Poorer Braking?

Originally Posted by AlmostInsight
I have had my HCH for 3000 miles now, and recently upped the tire pressure to 40psi. I drive down a hill with a stop sigh at the bottom everyday. I notice my ABS kicking in a bit at the bottom after increasing the pressure. I have also noticed this other places. The tires seem to hop a little easier than at 34psi, I think this could be dangerous. What do you think?
Hi Larry;

I'm sure there are alot more qualified members here to answer this/your question. I think the reason the ABS is kicking in faster is because you have less rubber/traction on the ground and therefore the ABS is kicking in sooner to keep the tires from locking up. See if this makes any sense at all to you. The more added tire pressure the rounder the tire becomes and the less tread is on the ground so the ABS is activating quicker to control tire/brake lock-up.

Thats what i think. As far as it being Dangerous I really honestly could not answer that. I think you are going to find that on this specific (Civic-Forum) you are more than likely going to have all kinds of Opinions regarding your question. You in the end are going to have to decide what you think is best and safest for you and your family in your car.

One more comment, I can see that going down hill and added tire pressure would activate the ABS quicker because of the situation.

I think it is going to ultimately come down to this as far as a decision on your part. Less FE with the tires set back to the Factory Specs. or keep the tire pressure increased and live with the ABS kicking in quicker.

Your decision:

HTH;

Terry

Old 01-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Default Re: High Tire Pressure Equals Poorer Braking?

I believe there was a post with data that says that higher PSI lowers stopping distance. I don't have time to search for it now, but I'm sure with a little effort you can find the post.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

or you can start to slow down earlier, in a more gradual way. I have my tire pressure around 55 psi. I never have a problem with ABS kicking in, and I have had a couple harder stops because of people pulling out directly in front of me or the light changing at the worst moment. At least you know the ABS works hehe

Old 01-09-2006, 05:40 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

Until last week, I've run my Bridgestones on my '04 HCH at 44 psi. I did not have the problem with the brakes ABS kicking in as you did. However, (I have MT), I usually am braking the car on hills with the engine, recharging the batteries at the same time.

I had to replace the tires on the car this past weekend, I had a puncture in one tire and the tread looked low, so I went ahead and changed all four. Today I got the pressure gauge out and found they were inflated at 32. I still got 58 mpg on my 65 mile trip to work this morning, but I will pump them up to 44 this afternoon.

The tire dealer was "impressed" on how many miles I got on the tires (50k), as he said they were rated for a *lot* less (40k). I was disappointed, I thought I'd be able to get 70k. Oh, well.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:09 AM
Enthusiast

As long as the payment is smooth and flat I don't notice it, but when the right series of bumps is under tire then it happens. It seems to get the tire and ABS going in sync. I am braking normally when it happens, not aggressive at all.
It is not a big problem.