Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Honda Care...a good deal? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/honda-care-good-deal-6536/)

fernando_g 03-26-2006 07:22 PM

Honda Care...a good deal?

My dealer is contacting me to get he Honda Care package.
Anyone has experience wioth such an extended warranty package?

zadscmc 03-27-2006 05:44 AM

Re: Honda Care...a good deal?

I purchased an extended warranty package. It cost me about $800 w/zero deductable, to 100k miles.

I suggest the following:
  • Search the greenhybrid.com threads for other purchasers of this extended warranty.
  • Shop around. You don't have to buy it from the dealer you purchased the car from.
  • Once you find the best price, challenge the dealer that you purchased the car from (the one soliciting you) to match the best price.
  • Buy the one with the lowest cost.
For $800, I compared this to having one "major" failure during the 36k-100k mile time period. So if I have one failure, it pays for itself. Not a bad break even point. If it doesn't fail during that time period, I can count myself as lucky.

To date, by HCH '04 MT has 58k miles in just under two years. My only maintenance has been oil, oil filters, air filter, and pollen filters. I have had a couple of encounters with deer, but other than a couple of bumps and bruises, the car performs admirably. I get 53 lmpg and have improved to near 56 (AGH) -- after GreenHybrid.

Good luck!

fernando_g 03-27-2006 06:36 AM

That is an excellent advice:

to challenge the car dealer. Like all of their products and services, I bet they have got plenty of markup in their prices.

mexiken 03-27-2006 10:40 AM

Its DEFINITELY worth the money in my opinion in the long run. Plus, to know you don't have to worry for such a long time is just EXCELLENT....

gumby 03-27-2006 08:22 PM

Fernando, Charlie nailed it.

I'm waiting (forever) for my 2006 HCH-II, but the best price I could find was 8yr/$0 deductible/120K miles extended warranty for $976, from Bernardi. Has anyone done any better? Shop around, then challenge your dealer to match it.

Mikeyt758 03-28-2006 06:23 PM

I got a 6/120/0 ded for $825 from mossisboss.com. Talk or email Tony Pascual in Finance and he will give you a quote.

clyde2575 04-05-2006 08:24 AM

Hello,

When I bought my 2004 HCH I bought the extended warranty (100K/60 months) for $1600. I bought the warranty for an extra 20k on the IMA system. I am now trading the car in so I called to see if they will refund what was not used and they will refund me $849.50 for the pro-rated use. :)

I did ask them a question though since I am buying a 2006 HCH, that you should definately ask before purchasing...does the warranty cover the batteries (my dealer had told me yes at the time I bought mine)??? According to Mechanical Protection Plan 1-800-747-4400, they do NOT cover the batteries. They will cover the rest of the IMA system that is not under warranty still by Honda but not the batteries. Definately something to keep in mind when purchasing the warranty.

Jessica

tarabell 04-05-2006 09:22 AM

Anyone considering buying a Honda Care extended warranty and has concerns about the battery coverage should check this thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...anty.5892.html

clyde2575 04-05-2006 09:40 AM

Thank you all so much for the info. I really did not know what to do but this Honda Care (which my dealer has not offered me) looks like a sure winner and something that I will get.

I did not look too deeply but do you know if you can cancel if you sell it and get a pro-rated refund?

Thanks again for all you help.

Jessica

tarabell 04-05-2006 11:36 AM

do you know if you can cancel if you sell it and get a pro-rated refund?
Yes, for HondaCare if you cancel within 60 days you get a full refund, and after 60 days you get a prorated refund based on time or miles driven. See the sample contract linked in the above thread. However I've heard of dealers tacking on an additional incentive where they refund the total purchase price at the end of the warranty term (5 yrs, 6 yrs, 8 yrs, etc) if you have not ever filed a claim. However the dealer may ask a higher price for this extra, so remember--everything is negotiable. The 60 day warranty applies regardless of where you purchase the warranty. See this thread for more info
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ead.php?t=4748
and always read a current sample policy before you buy.