Honda Civic GX vs. Honda Civic Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 12:30 AM
Enthusiast
Default Honda Civic GX vs. Honda Civic Hybrid

On the GX model, you can pump a full tank of natural gas on a GX model inside your garage for less than $16.00 and drive 250-300 per tank. The GX is AT-PZEV, is basically next to Zero emission level which translate to the cleanest production vehicle in the world. You can get up to $4,000 back for a tax refund if you buy a new GX after Jan. 1, 2006. You can go to the DMV and get a HOV quicker on a GX vehicle than a Hybrid. It's cheaper to register a GX than a Hybrid in some states. Natural gas has a higher octane rating than Premium Unleaded gasoline. The GX's compression ratio is 12.5 and uses the same block and head as the other Civic's.

But the GX cost about $2,000 more than a non navi hybrid. THe GX's trim is compared to the LX which cost over $6,000 less and still gets 30/40 mpg. Natural gas stations are not abundant vs. normal gas stations. You get more nice features on a Hybrid than a GX like Auto Climate control, alloy wheels, CVT transmission, and better mpg.

Now how about a Natural gas hybrid?

Old 03-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda Civic GX vs. Honda Civic Hybrid

Thats genius....

Old 03-14-2007, 05:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Not to mention that those of us who live in apartments can't exactly run a hose down to the garage.

It would make a good short-range commuter car, but not much good on a long trip.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That would have been the perfect car for my wife. One of the reasons she wanted the hybrid was so she didn't have to go to the gas station as often, and with the GX, she would NEVER have to go to the gas station!

Edmunds drove one a few months ago (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116833) and liked it, but they complained about the lack of gas stations. And like all other automotive publications regarding environmental cars, they knocked it for being slow and for not getting the EPA gas milage.

With a $1,000 credit to have the Phill put in, a $4,000 Federal tax credit and a $4,000+ state credit, it wouldn't be too expensive for someone in Colorado to buy one of those for a city driver. That being said, I'm more than happy with the HCH (and so is my wife since she's never had to buy gas for it in 3,500 miles--Honey, could you do me a favor, I've only got 2 bars left...).