Is Honda Civic Hybrid a True Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Is Honda Civic Hybrid a True Hybrid?

Is IMA technology a true hybrid or just a semi-hybrid? Aside from great MPG, I never got the feeling that I'm driving a hybrid car with my 2006 HCH. Unlike other hybrids such as Prius or Ford's Escape where one can drive in EV mode in low speed, HCH's electric motor is just too weak for it to drive the car without the help of the gas engine.

Now I heard that the new Prius is getting an upgrade with a bigger battery so it can stay in EV mode longer without engaging the gas engine and the talk about "Plug-in hybrid" as the next gen hybrid car. I wonder if the IMA technology will be obsolete.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: Is Honda Civic Hybrid a True Hybrid?

IMO the HCH is definately a "true" hybrid. The electric motor/ generator uses regen to assist the ICE later, the hallmark of a true hybrid. The HCH's mileage in the database is on par with any "full" hybrid as well.

The Prius does go a step further, the HCH does not make for a good "plug in hybrid" while the Prius does.

Still I would agree that the Prius is more "hybridy" than the Civic but not perhaps more than the Insight. True the Insight lacks some of the Prius features but does the Prius have an aluminum body? The Insight kills all the other cars in the database so I think it is the most "hybridy" followed by the Prius and in a close third the Civic.

Last edited by lakedude; 06-22-2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This report should give you a good explanation of the different hybrid types and terms.

http://www.ucsusa.org/assets/documen...2003_final.pdf

Old 06-22-2006, 08:57 PM
The Devil's in the detail

At the end of the day, it's great to be driving a Hybrid of any configuration. But what we must not loose site of is the reason why.

1/ To reduce emissions

2/ To decrease our dependance on fossil fuels

3/ To decrease fuel consumption

The Honda does all these admirably.

If you look at the home page of this forum you can see that fuel consumption wise there is very little difference between the two.

I admit that you can't really drive the HCH on electric only...or if you can for not as long as the Prius.

Nevertheless I'm convinced that value for money wise, the HCH-II is a much better option.....and.....and....it looks better!

Old 06-22-2006, 09:08 PM

No its a fake hybrid.

The special thing about this car is that you can shut off fuel use while driving on the highway. I use cruise control all of the time. By hitting the decel steering wheel control, the MPG meter goes to 100 MPG; this can occur more frequently than one realizes, such as approaching turns on beltways, coasting UP ( yes up) inclines, and obviously cruising gliding from afar to various stop lights and inersections especially wehn coming off the freeway.

The ability to manually shut off fuel use when optimal is quite cool, and frankly, is second nature to me at this point-- its part of driving.

The toyota approach is different. More electric horsies until you hit a certain speed at which point your MPG drops like a lead ball ( check out their own graphs on this forum).

The Honda Hybrid is elegant; the Toyota Hybrid is a less sophisticated approach.

They both get the job done, and are part of the solution- but maybe too little too late when all is said and done.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Banned

If it propels the vehicle with both ICE and an electric motor - it's a hybrid. That means Toyota, Honda, and Ford have hybrids - the GM Silverado is not.

The ultimate source of energy is ultimately from the tank (exception: customized plug-in hybrids) Showing my Honda bias, but the more efficient the ICE, the more efficient the hybrid. BTW, I look forward to driving a Prius at Hybridfest

Old 06-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Vegetarian

It seems to me that if the IMA can do so well only being a "lite" hybrid system, if Honda were to create a "full" hybrid it would be way better than the HSD.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

This topic was hammered out more than a year ago... Must have lost the thread.

IMO it's not a terribly productive debate to invent terms then argue over the definition. Any distinction between a full hybrid, semi hybrid, quadruple hybrid, or extra-special-double-secret-hybrid is lost on me. If the gas motor is augmented/assisted with an electric one, it's a hybrid. The sub-categories below that are simply variations in the manufacturers approach.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by rysa4
No its a fake hybrid.

The special thing about this car is that you can shut off fuel use while driving on the highway. I use cruise control all of the time. By hitting the decel steering wheel control, the MPG meter goes to 100 MPG; this can occur more frequently than one realizes, such as approaching turns on beltways, coasting UP ( yes up) inclines, and obviously cruising gliding from afar to various stop lights and inersections especially wehn coming off the freeway.

The ability to manually shut off fuel use when optimal is quite cool, and frankly, is second nature to me at this point-- its part of driving.

The toyota approach is different. More electric horsies until you hit a certain speed at which point your MPG drops like a lead ball ( check out their own graphs on this forum).

The Honda Hybrid is elegant; the Toyota Hybrid is a less sophisticated approach.

They both get the job done, and are part of the solution- but maybe too little too late when all is said and done.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:41 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Aussie
Nevertheless I'm convinced that value for money wise, the HCH-II is a much better option.....and.....and....it looks better!
If nothing else, my 2006 HCH II looks much, much better than any other hybrids outhere

Quick Reply: Is Honda Civic Hybrid a True Hybrid?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands