Honda Factory OEM Alarm System

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default Honda Factory OEM Alarm System

Soon after I got my Civic hybrid I wanted an alarm system, but didn't need or desire all the frilly stuff the guys at BestBuy wanted to push. After doing a little research I found out that my car was already wired for an alarm, I just needed the module! Apparently all Civic hybrids have this wiring harness to the left of the steering column. If you go looking for it, look carefully as it's hard to find and being held up with blue tape. I made a quick call to Honda and found out the part I needed was $185, still less than the other alarms. Bless this wonderful thing called the internet, cuz I found it for $140, then $112, and finally $80.88 from collegehillshonda.com. In case your looking, it's Honda part number 08E50-S5D-100.

The total install from start to finish took about an hour and was REALLY simple to do. Near plug and play.

Just wanted to let everyone know.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda Factory OEM Alarm System

Thanks for all the great info! GEICO gave me a discount for having an alarm even though I never told them I had one on my 03 HCH. Can anyone explain that?

Old 04-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast

USAA gave me a discount prior to installing the alarm system because the car already had a starter disabler (chip thing in the key). After installing the alarm I called them back up (in hopes of another discount), but no luck. I think they see them as one in the same.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Eye am teh smartey

What year HCH did you get? I think my 'O5 already has an alarm. It's got a panic button on the keychain that sets it off honking and flashing. But maybe it's not a real alarm, IE it won't go off if somebody breaks into the car. Can somebody enlighten me?

Old 04-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Eye am teh smartey

I'm looking at College Hills Honda's site
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/civ...lectronics.htm

and I'm seeing two alarm units on there:

One is Part# 08E50-S5D-101 for Your Price: $125.00
THe other is Part# 08E50-S5D-100F Your Price: $215.00

You're sure about those prices and part numbers? I wonder what the real diff between the two units is.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by n1ywb
What year HCH did you get? I think my 'O5 already has an alarm. It's got a panic button on the keychain that sets it off honking and flashing. But maybe it's not a real alarm, IE it won't go off if somebody breaks into the car. Can somebody enlighten me?
That's exactly what mine came with, but's actually just 'remote entry', and there isn't an alarm if someone breaks into the car. The easiest way to test is when your inside the car (without the key in the ignition) arm it, then try to exit the car. If the horn sounds, then you've got the alarm. If not, then get the module. It really is easy enough for most people to install.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by n1ywb
I'm looking at College Hills Honda's site
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/civ...lectronics.htm

and I'm seeing two alarm units on there:

One is Part# 08E50-S5D-101 for Your Price: $125.00
THe other is Part# 08E50-S5D-100F Your Price: $215.00

You're sure about those prices and part numbers? I wonder what the real diff between the two units is.

The part number I orderd and installed was "08E50-S5D-100", exactly, and it looks like they changed the price. Maybe contact your local honda dealership to verify your part number? Perhaps if you reference my order number and price then they might be willing to match it. Here is the info from my reciept:

Order Number : 9082
Placed : 03/18/2005 11:21:54 PST

Ship To: Bill To:
address removed
US US

Code Name Quantity Price/Ea. Total
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
08E50-S5D-100 Security System 1 $80.88 $80.88
Shipping: UPS Ground: $7.96
Sales Tax: $0.00
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total: $88.84

Old 04-08-2005, 03:28 PM
consuming little gas

Yes, the 05 Civic Hybrids already come with an alarm. The salesman verified this when I bought mine. There are 2 modes to the alarm. If you buy the alarm option for $185 (or whatever the price is now) the car absolutely will not start unless your key is in the ignition. This means if someone breaks into your car they will not be able to hotwire it. The second mode of the alarm is if you DON'T buy the $185 option. It's still an ignition-kill type alarm but does have one weak spot. The only difference is a burglar WILL be able to hotwire your car as long as they don't open a door to get in. In other words, if they break a window and open the door, they WON'T be able to hotwire the car. But if they break a window and CLIMB thru the window, hence not opening the door, it will be possible for your car to be hotwired and started. For the record I didn't buy the $185 option. I got a break on my car insurance as well. So by default you do have a fairly decent alarm system on the car already at no extra cost.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Eye am teh smartey

My window sticker says "Immobilizer Theft-Deterrent System". The salesman mentioned there was a chip in the key and it wouldn't start without the magical honda key. However today I tested the system by getting in the car, I pressed the remote lock button twice and I got the horn blip. I unlocked the door and opened it, and no alarm went off. Also I looked underneith the drivers dash and I couldn't find an alarm module, I did find an unplugged green connecter taped up with blue tape, is that the mystery alarm connector?

Old 04-09-2005, 02:33 PM
consuming little gas

i believe it is silent alarm. basically, it just makes you car unstartable (unless that one condition i mentioned in my earlier email is met). so someone brakes your window, opens your door, and trys to hotwire the car. but they wont get it won't work. but there will also not be an audible alarm. at least that is how i understand it.

Quick Reply: Honda Factory OEM Alarm System

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands