Honda Hybrid Marketing Campaigns

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 07:35 AM
Enthusiast

I am seriously looking into writing a few letters to Honda to discuss their marketing campaign for their Hybrids. I even considered having a friend of mine translate a letter into Japanese to send to Takeo (President of Honda in Japan).

I am just finishing up my MBA in Dallas and I guess I'm fairly disappointed in what Honda has supplied me (in terms of information on my car). From what I have seen, Toyota has done a much better job in educating and providing information on the basic technology. Honda could cash in on their new technology but I think they are still unsure if the money lost on each Hybrid sold is worth extra marketing dollars.

I actually learned the most about my car from the car dealer (he explained a little on how the battery assists the motor and some of the tricks to driving a Hybrid efficiently). Shouldn't that be some hand-out they give all NEW hybrid owners? :unsure:

Nick

Old 02-01-2004, 08:37 AM
Site Founder

I think, actually, that Honda's lack of advertising has a true reason. With the introduction of the 2004 Prius, heads were turned. If Honda were to start a hybrid campaign, this would augment the recognition of the Prius which, I frankly say, would be anti-productive for Honda. They have yet to hit it "big" with hybrids, while Toyota has just unveiled a big-time winner.

Now, I'm not saying that the Civic is inferior, but rather that at this time, they want as little attention drawn to their competition as possible.

Old 02-01-2004, 09:57 AM
Enthusiast

Jason, I think you're completely offbase. :-) Honda certainly HAS hit it big with hybrids -- their Civic Hybrid outsold Classic Prius monthly from June 2002 until the 2004 Prius became available in October 2003. How is that not "hitting it big"? The Civic Hybrid was chosen over the Classic Prius by Consumer Reports, Edmunds, and Motor Trend, to name a few highly respected sources. How is that not hitting it big? Honda is the only manufacturer to offer two hybrid models in the U.S. How is that not "big"?

I have yet to see a 2004 Prius commercial on broadcast TV, but we do get the occasional Insight commercial, and the occasional Civic Hybrid commercial, and plenty of general Honda advertising that includes both HCH and Insight. Considering that the Civic Hybrid raised the bar on the Classic Prius, of course Toyota has to come out swining against it (in this case, with the '04 model). Honda is running up on Toyota's heels with the Hybrid Accord, which will debut in about 7 months.

I'm not sure why you think a Honda advertisement would sell Prius. Certainly, the 2004 Prius is not for everyone, much as you may disagree. If nothing else, the wait to get a Prius has sold plenty of Civic Hybrids. :-)

Nick... I didn't get any more information about my Classic Prius from Toyota than I got from Honda about my Civic Hybrid. What information are you looking for? There's a couple of very excellent useful Yahoo groups that cover the Hybrid Civic and another that covers Honda hybrid-electrics in general. If you are looking for info, try there. Let me know if I can help you with what you're looking to find out.

Honda's approach is that "Hybrids are normal cars -- just another trimline in the model." You have the Civic GX, HX, DX, LX, EX, and Hybrid. Choose one. You don't have to do anything different -- no special driving, nothing. It's just another Honda! I think that Honda took a big risk when they chanced "sullying" the name of one of their best-selling cars (Civic) by putting a hybrid powertrain in it. What if hybrids were a flop? People might associate that flop with all Civics and it could have hurt Honda deeply. Until the Highlander debuts, Toyota hasn't been willing to take that same risk. Honda's strategy is that one day soon, every model they sell will have a hybrid powertrain as an available trimline. It's not big news, it's matter-of-fact and it's the way it is. I believe they like it that way.

Toyota's strategy is of course very different. Look at me! Look at this special car! It's VERY DIFFERENT from anything else! Doesn't appeal to the same kind of person that Honda appeals to. Nothing wrong with that.

peace,
Linda B)

Old 02-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Site Founder

Linda, thanks for your remarks! One of the reasons that I started GreenHybrid was to have unbiased opinions shared. On the Yahoo Prius group, everyone loved the Prius. I just joined an Insight forum, and of course everyone is in love with the Insight.

Now, my post was simply a single view and a single opinion. I happen to believe that the hybrid concept was not accepted until the 04 Prius came out. The Civic, indeed, outsold the Classic Prius, but I think that Honda knew it was still in risky territory.

There are, indeed, TV ads for the 04 in California mostly, where the most concentrated audience is.

I hold my stance that Honda has yet to hit it big, simply because the Civic Hybrid is a relative unknown among most people. All hybrids, in general, are relative unknowns at this time, but I, personally, think that Honda will come out with their "answer" to the Prius and then all hell will break loose

As a side note, you may want to re-upload your signature, as the image appears to be broken.

Old 02-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Enthusiast

Originally posted by rgamfin@Feb 1st 2004 @ 10:35 AM
I am just finishing up my MBA in Dallas and I guess I'm fairly disappointed in what Honda has supplied me (in terms of information on my car).
Nick,

Is this the kind of information you are looking for for your car?

http://www.osti.gov/fcvt/2000-01-2216.pdf

peace,
Linda B)

P.S. I don't have a signature on file, Jason.

Old 02-01-2004, 08:40 PM
Site Founder

Great file, Linda!

Old 02-02-2004, 06:52 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Jason/Linda,

That PDF file from osti.gov was really great (I printed it out). My main concern was not so much that there wasn't enough advertising or commericials out there for Toyota or Honda Hybrid's. I guess I was just hoping they would put together something similar to the PDF file (but dumb it down a shade).

It just seems like Toyota's website is much more helpful for their Prius (i.e. diagrams explaining the Hybrid system and 3-d animation of the car) Toyota is trying to sell the "coolness" of the technology. Honda seems to be keeping it low key as usual.

As I mentioned, I don't think I blaim either Honda or Toyota for keeping the advertising to a minimum. They are losing money on each car they sell (and Toyota can't seem to keep up with the surge in demand) but atleast they are hopefully gaining devoted users for life. So, in the future, both Honda and Toyota will be making hybrid vehicles at a nice profit.

All I was refering to (for Honda) was that if they could mimic Saturn (or Toyota's website) and actually spend a few minutes teaching new drivers how their vehicles work, I think they would be much more successful in the future. It took me a few months to learn all of the details about how to get the best MPG from my car. (Thanks to reading all of the posts on the Yahoo groups!) So, if some Hybrid owners don't have access to Yahoo groups, I assume they may never know exactly what makes their car tick.

Just a thought. Thanks for your comments! :blink:

Nick

Old 02-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by Jason@Feb 1st 2004 @ 1:04 PM
Now, my post was simply a single view and a single opinion. I happen to believe that the hybrid concept was not accepted until the 04 Prius came out. The Civic, indeed, outsold the Classic Prius, but I think that Honda knew it was still in risky territory.
very true...i also think they were uneconomical to the companies also. i clearly remember an article that describes how honda had refused to truely market their vehicles because they were uneconomical to them..simply they were loosing money on them. the new prius has changed that. it can be seen rolling out of the same assembly line as camrys and corollas at a profit, not a loss. just my .02