Honda Music Link (for iPodŽ)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 07:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Lightbulb Honda Music Link (for iPodŽ)

Has anybody installed this accessory in their Honda or Acura yet? I've ordered it for my '06 that is coming next week, but now I am having second thoughts. The dealer wants $352 for the part and installation (which I didn't think is a bad deal) but after reading the manual, it doesn't appear as integrated as I first thought. And I listen mostly to books on my iPod and given the interface, won't be that useful.

It seems like the MP3 AUX jack will do just as well. If anybody has direct experience with the Music Link and thinks it's worth the price, please let me know.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:50 AM
From Tahoe to HCH
Default Re: Honda Music Link (for iPodŽ)

The deal breaker for me was the fact that it can't show the song info on the Navi screen.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by fasteddye
The deal breaker for me was the fact that it can't show the song info on the Navi screen.
Personally, I was shocked when I read the manual. There is almost no integration and you have to use the CD controls to page through the menus and songs. Pretty lame.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:02 AM
YA RLY.

With no info displayed on the nav screen, you might as well just plug the iPod into the standard auxiliary jack.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:19 AM
kbb
Enthusiast

I just got off the phone with the dealer, $262 for the parts and $156 to install.
(I don't have the navigation, I think this may change the price of the parts and/or the install)

However the parts guy said the functionality is different depending on which iPod you have. I pressed for more info, but the guy wasn't sure - he didn't seem to know much.
Anyone have any idea what he was getting at? I asked if he had any documentation on it or the compatibility and he didn't.

AZMerf, when you referred to the manual, were you talking of the manual for the car? Or for the music link? If it's the latter where did you get it? I'd be interest in reading it.

For 400 bucks I'm needing more info before I bite... but I think I may just to cut down on the cords and cables that fill my cup holders.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by kbb
I just got off the phone with the dealer, $262 for the parts and $156 to install.
(I don't have the navigation, I think this may change the price of the parts and/or the install)

However the parts guy said the functionality is different depending on which iPod you have. I pressed for more info, but the guy wasn't sure - he didn't seem to know much.
Anyone have any idea what he was getting at? I asked if he had any documentation on it or the compatibility and he didn't.

AZMerf, when you referred to the manual, were you talking of the manual for the car? Or for the music link? If it's the latter where did you get it? I'd be interest in reading it.

For 400 bucks I'm needing more info before I bite... but I think I may just to cut down on the cords and cables that fill my cup holders.
I found the manual at:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/civ...lectronics.htm

You'll see the iPod Link description and then below it is a link to the Civic's User Manual. It's the manual for the Music Link. The first part of the manual explains non-nav use. There is no screen shot of the display screen.

See page 26. There is a shot of the Nav screen with the iPod connected.

BTW, my dealer quoted me $352, parts and labor. Since there is no price advantage to installation at delivery, see if you can get him to come down or do it later if you can find a better deal.

Old 01-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Razorx

Reading the manual, this sounds like a nightmare to navigate. Anyone have this and can "vouch" for it? I was going to install this next month but not after reading the manual...

Old 01-20-2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by jlambeth
Reading the manual, this sounds like a nightmare to navigate. Anyone have this and can "vouch" for it? I was going to install this next month but not after reading the manual...
I had the exact same reaction. I cancelled my install today.

Old 01-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Enthusiast

Review of the Honda iPod Music Link

I found this review of the iPod Link for Honda. I've got a 3rd Gen iPod so it looks like the connector and software won't work for me. Based on the information in the review, it sounds like a clunky way to implement the link.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Review of the Honda iPod Music Link

I found this review of the iPod Link for Honda. I've got a 3rd Gen iPod so it looks like the connector and software won't work for me. Based on the information in the review, it sounds like a clunky way to implement the link.

Hope this helps.
Excellent review. Anybody thinking of this accessory needs to read this review. It is very detailed and well thoughtout. There are many detailed pictures of the Link and his alternative. Make sure you watch his video of the Music Link in action.

Last edited by AZMerf; 01-21-2006 at 10:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Honda Music Link (for iPodŽ)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands