Honda's Claim of 06 HCH Running Only On Electric

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Owner
Default Honda's Claim of 06 HCH Running Only On Electric

I remember reading in the brochure that this car can run in electric-only mode on cruising speeds up to 35 mph.

Has anyone been able to accomplish this, outside of the EV-glide? I haven't.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda's Claim of 06 HCH Running Only On Electric

This forum thread does it to death

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...=electric+only

DKeane

Old 03-04-2006, 06:17 AM
Owner

I think what that thread is talking about and what Honda is saying are different.

Why would Honda explicitly say, "cruising speeds up to 35 mpg"? EV-Glide can be done at any speed. If this is what Honda was talking about, I'm sure the marketing department would have said, "cruising at any speed"

When I bought this car, I was under the impression that if I set the cruise control on 34 mph on a level to a slightly declining road, the battery would do it all.

Well that's never been the case. Maybe because of the 20 degree temps or it's only on its 3rd tank.

Old 03-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just lift your foot off the gas and reapply just enought to get 1-4 or even 5 bars of assist. Your now moving under electic power only. Minute gas pedal movement is the key, and of course, level or downsloped roadway.
You can feel the engine shut down when you let off and restart if you push too hard.

Old 03-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I don't have an HCH2 but sure wish I had that EV mode.

Not sure about your car but the cruise control in my HCH1 can take some pretty far gas pedal movements in a very short time.

I noticed the slight pedal movement comment by 9G-Man and perhaps this is why you can't get the EV mode to work under cruise control?

BTW 9G-Man nice to see another Atlantan here!
I notice a couple HCH1's up in my Hall/Jackson area lately and wish they'd get on this board too.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You'll never stay in EV mode for more than a couple of seconds if you use the cruise control. This is because the electric motor is not powerful enough to propel the car. It can only assist. However, I have been going down hill (and even up hill) and been in EV mode. You just have to not worry about maintaining your speed because it will always lose speed in EV mode (unless you going down just the right grade hill).

Old 03-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've got a video of me driving my HCHII down a hill on the highway, 40 seconds in ev mode. Could have been more but traffic was slowing down. I messed up though because the video is 11mb and I can't send it to anyone through email (**** 10mb attachment limits), and I have yet to find a decent website to host it...they never seem to work.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:00 AM

Post it over at cleanmpg.com. in our gallery. The gallery does photos and multimedia so don't let "upload photo" fool you.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Rarely post anything

Is there a new companion website now ?

Old 03-06-2006, 02:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Post it over at cleanmpg.com. in our gallery. The gallery does photos and multimedia so don't let "upload photo" fool you.
You got my hopes up, cleanmpg.com also has a 10mb attachment limit...the file is 11mb.

Quick Reply: Honda's Claim of 06 HCH Running Only On Electric

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands