Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid

For bear-15

Old 06-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Explain... "for bear-15 " ???????????????

Old 06-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

Couple questions:

1) On "flushing," the owner's manual for the 2007 says, essentially, drain it, fill it, run it, three times in a row. On other boards for other vehicles, I've seen pretty strong and, it seemed to me, reasonable advice against reverse-flushing. It doesn't help in removing all the fluid (a normal flush will do that) but is hard on parts and can loosen crap that never would have caused a problem had it been left alone. (Like asbestos, y'know?) My question is, has anyone actually done the multiple-drain-and-fill thing? I'd rather drain-and-fill once every 10,000 miles than do it three times every 30,000 miles. Just hate to waste all that fluid.

2) The manual says fluid should be added through the dipstick hole. Is there any reason not to just do this rather than trying to wrench off the fill plug? (Does the '07 CVT even have a fill plug? I'm not sure what years/models those of you who have commented on it are referring to.)

Thanks --
Doug

Old 06-12-2007, 07:29 PM

Bill, Bear 15 was looking for this thread. I dug it up for him. H

Old 06-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Opec Nightmare

Thanks for providing the information on changing CVT fluid.

Originally Posted by Harold
Bill, Bear 15 was looking for this thread. I dug it up for him. H

Old 06-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast

The last time I did a drain and fill on a transmission, I didn't have an owners manual (old truck). I drained into pan, and then carefully measured the amount by pouring into a measured bottle. I used a milk jug with one quart marks on the side. Transmission dipsticks, in my experience, are sometimes hard to read.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:42 AM
7d7
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DougD
Couple questions:

1) On "flushing," the owner's manual for the 2007 says, essentially, drain it, fill it, run it, three times in a row. On other boards for other vehicles, I've seen pretty strong and, it seemed to me, reasonable advice against reverse-flushing. It doesn't help in removing all the fluid (a normal flush will do that) but is hard on parts and can loosen crap that never would have caused a problem had it been left alone. (Like asbestos, y'know?) My question is, has anyone actually done the multiple-drain-and-fill thing? I'd rather drain-and-fill once every 10,000 miles than do it three times every 30,000 miles. Just hate to waste all that fluid.

2) The manual says fluid should be added through the dipstick hole. Is there any reason not to just do this rather than trying to wrench off the fill plug? (Does the '07 CVT even have a fill plug? I'm not sure what years/models those of you who have commented on it are referring to.)

Thanks --
Doug
Also wondering if most people are doing the drain-fill-drive-repeat flushing method or just a single drain & fill?
Anyone know if the dealers do the thorough flushing when you have them change the fluid?

Old 09-06-2007, 11:09 AM
"Manalo"

On my 06 HCHII, I re-filled my transmission through the dipstick hole since I couldn't find the fill plug mentioned on this thread (3 qts). Then we took a trip to Las Vegas and back in 100+ degree weather and no problems at all. I'm thinking the walk-through pics were coming off of a HCHI

Old 09-06-2007, 11:20 AM

The manual says to drain and flush three times, as Doug stated. That would require 9 ltrs. or 9 qts., Seams like a waste. I understand that only 2/3 of the oil can be drained from the CTV.,at one drain, this means no matter how many times you drain and flush, you will never get all the old oil out? You would think there must be a way to get all the oil out? I cant beleive Honda would allow this to happen.H

Old 09-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Enthusiast

In a non-CVT automatic transmission a large part of the oil is in the torque converter(fluid coupling) and will not drain from the pan. I would suppose that the Honda CVT also has a fluid coupling somewhere to take the shock loads off the variable diameter pulley system. I have done the drain and fill on several standard automatic transmissions and it seemed to work just fine, although one really can't tell. It will renew the additives and restore most of the virgin fluid viscosity, which it what counts. It's not possible using the drain and fill technique to replace 100% of the fluid, ever.

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands