HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid

Old 09-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid

The oil in a fluid coupling is contained in the coupling in old autotrans. The CVT has oil that can not be drained. It is the same oil the that lubs the rest of the workings! It means you will never get a complete drain of all the old oil.H

Old 09-07-2007, 03:46 PM

Wow, and I thought the thread I made on changing the oil in an HAH was detailed! Props to Rigger. By the way, whatever happened to him??

Old 09-07-2007, 04:04 PM

Keith, what thread did you start? I would like to read it if it concerns CVT. I would like to know the best method for changing this oil. H

Old 10-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the pics, the change went great on an HCH II! One question, though. I managed to get closer to over 3 qts out when I changed, and then was a little low after the fill. I added ~.3 qt and now my "cold" reading is up toward the top of ther "hot" reading, or a little high. Is this a problem and do I need to drain some out?

Old 08-22-2008, 06:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

What happened to the image??? I'm planning to do my cvt oil changed and I'm coming back to this post to know how to do it and the images are gone!!!

Please can someone put back the image?

thank you

Old 09-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Site Sponsor
Default Re: HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid HCH I

Originally Posted by rigger
UPDATE!!
Honda now has CVT only fluid! "Supposed" to be better than the old ATF-Z1 stuff.
Here is another option for CVT Fluid.
ENEOS CVTF is manufactured by Nippon Oil - the largest oil company in Japan.

Here is the website for more info: www.eneos.us

Old 09-21-2008, 05:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

It's the first time that I changed the transmission oil, so I guess the previous oil was the regular transmission oil, now I put cvt oil in it, I guess there's still old one left inside, does it matter if the two oil are mixed?

can we mix transmission oil?

Old 01-10-2009, 08:02 AM

Just a few comments:

Our HCHII Maintenance Minder called for sub-item 3, which is the CVT fluid change, when we were at 46000km, just a little over 3 years since new purchase. That was about a year back. I'd just jumped the gun and done it myself, due to a Honda publication: "Canadian Maintenance Schedule". This pamphlet adds some time/mileage info to the mysterious MM. For the hybrid's CVT it recommends the interval 96,000km or 36 months, I assume whichever comes first.

A few people have asked about doing a CVT fluid flush. I don't think this is necessary, and per other posters: a waste of (expensive) fluid. The only reason to do an all-at-once flush imho would be if you'd inadvertantly put the wrong fluid in: say poured in some motor oil.

The Owners Manual is remiss in my opinion, in that it does not describe a CVT fluid change, only a flush. That description is to drain and refill 3 times, with a short drive after each refill.

The Shop Manual describes a "CVT Fluid Replacemnt" as a single drain and fill, and spec's quantity of 2.8 liter or 3.0 US quart (5.1 liter or 5.4 US Quart at overhaul). Basically, you're replacing about 50% of the CVT's fluid capacity with each change.

It also instructs (as does the Owners Manual) to verify fluid level is near the middle of the hot zone immediately after shut down. I've found in practice there's very little variation (if any) between hot and cold levels, immediately after shut down or overnight. When I follow this instruction I find the cold level turns out to be too high. I suspect just draining thoroughly and then refilling with the spec'd. amount is fine. One thing to note: always do level checks with the car on level ground.

One thing the Shop Manual describes, which the Owners Manual does not: there is a black dot on the CVT dipstick, and you should ensure that is pointing to the front of the vehicle. There is some asymmetry to the dipstick collar. I'm not sure how critical this is, and it's funny the Owners Manual makes no mention of this.

Regarding the CVT fill hole, I just used the dipstick hole. I was not aware there was another one. This works fine. You need one of those long necked funnels designed for transmission fill. They're readilly available.

As far as timing the change, I'm leaning towards doing a single CVT fluid change myself, from here on, once per year. This is more than Honda recommends, but more in line with their directives with older Hondas, sort of a perpetual flushing operation, and cheap insurance

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 01-10-2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: added some, spelling fixes, continuity fixes
Old 01-10-2009, 08:44 AM

That is my plan, Mendel. I am almost tempted to go the 96m Kil, but I am a bit leary of that trany! I don't know why 3 yrs. low milage can harm the oil, especially if there is no burnt smell to the oil?
Cheers, H

Old 01-10-2009, 09:09 AM

Well, both the MM and the Canadian Maintenance Schedule pamphlet came up with about the same time interval: around 3 years, regardless of mileage. I think the date superscedes the mileage.

Just checking a 1990 Accord Shop manual (I have the manual around somewhere, but also have a more handy pdf), the auto transmission fluid change interval for that car was every two years or 40000km. With our 91 Accord I also stuck to once a year for the transmission fluid change. Two reasons: it's a "cautious" interval, and it saves you having to remember if it's an off or on year. I do keep a log file though, with date/km/description of what I do. Still, if it's not yearly it's easier to let it slip.

You likely can extend the interval, with no ill effects, I'm just conservative. Still, I wouldn't want to wait till it smells burnt. At the least I'd stick with the MM, which looks to be tri-yearly.

Plus I'm looking for excuses to use my new heavier duty floor jack and jack stands, and work out my technique for getting the car up in incremental lifts: high enough to swing down the hinged engine shield.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands