How do YOU keep your car cool in the parking lot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default How do YOU keep your car cool in the parking lot?

We are about to enter a 10-day-minimum period of +95 degrees with only a rare chance of scattered showers.

My car is parked in direct sunlight all day from about 8:30 to 5pm. I was using a sunshade, but at some point I felt it wasn't doing any good and was just slowing me down when I wanted to get the car moving with the windows down at the end of the day.

The best thing I found for my car so far was to leave all the windows cracked. Yet, I am paranoid about doing this -- esp. as a coworker just had her car soaked.

In my lot there are several sunshades, several windows cracked, and a few freaks who use a car cover!

I am always on the lookout for a nice sunshade (front/rear/side) or anything really to help out.

I'm thinking those tinted smoker's vents that go on the outside-top of the window may solve the scattered shower paranoia, but I am sure they would be detrimental to FE.

I'd love a pop-up tent to hide my car under, but I don't think a practical one exists.

What do you all do?

Ian

Old 08-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How do YOU keep your car cool in the parking lot?

We have an airplane and the best thing to do for long term parking is still to use nice, reflective, sun shades. For shorter term parking i would try to find something that prevents water from coming in, but allows air to flow.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:35 PM

Agreed. I kinda like this:

http://www.capoptop.com/home.htm

Old 08-10-2007, 01:41 PM

Here's a Civic. I think I could keep my windows cracked with that.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have been looking to tint my windows. But, in IL you cannot tint the front 2 windows. So, I don’t want the limo look. But, I am getting the door visors from my hybrid. I had these on my 2006 hybrid and 07 Si. Now I need to get a set for my 2007 hybrid. I like them since they are OEM Honda product and they do not stick out too much.

They are available from College Hills Honda.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hon...d_exterior.htm

Old 08-10-2007, 02:16 PM

That doesn't look too bad. Thanks for the link.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:52 AM

Well, my solution is to open the windows when I get in the car. Simple enough. I live in new mexico and yep, the sun is DANG hot here. I use the fold-up windshield shade when I'm facing the sun, but otherwise it just gets hot in there, there's no way around it.

In my truck, because it had window visors lke the ones on the blue civic above, I would leave those windows open about an inch. The visors stopped the rain from getting in and made it so a passer-by couldn't casually notice that the windows were open. If you don't mind the drag and visibility reduction, this is the way to go, ventilation is paramount.

Good luck, in a sense it's a futile pursuit, but there are small ways to reduce the problem.

Last edited by zimbop; 08-12-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have all the windows but the front one tinted. I use a Heat Shield that I bought from the dealer that covers the front perfectly, even the little triangular windows. I try and park so the sun is directly shining on the front windshield when there is no shade available.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

http://www.handaaccessories.com/civint06.html

Last edited by OlympicDreams; 08-12-2007 at 11:11 AM.