How hard to change the oil in the HCH?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How hard to change the oil in the HCH?

Hello

When I change my oil I do it a 50%, I know it is overkill, but old habits die hard. When I do change it I use a Pella topsider oil sucker, 10 minutes and no ramps or belly pan to deal with. Then at 5 % I have the dealer change the oil and filter, to keep me updated on any updates, and for records. I did change the cvt trans oil today, I will never have the dealer do it at 100.00. My cost was 18.00, and 15 minutes of my time on a Saturday. I spent more time putting the ramps away and recycling the oil. The cabin filter and air clear were equally as easy to replace.

Just my .02

Brian

Old 02-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hchluv
I did change the cvt trans oil today, I will never have the dealer do it at 100.00. My cost was 18.00, and 15 minutes of my time on a Saturday.
Just curious, where did you get CVT fluid for $18 for a change? Honda CVT from my dealership is ~CAD$18/qt (x3 quarts for a change), and this is normal from what I've heard.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
The step-by-step of an oil change is outlined in the Owners Manual, except for the drain plug torque, I think. That torque is:

29 lb/ft

for the Hybrid.
Whatever you do, don't over torque! Steel bolt + over-torque = Aluminum pan. Last thing you want to do is replace an expensive pan because you stripped the threads on the drain bolt.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Originally Posted by jetstreamblue
Just curious, where did you get CVT fluid for $18 for a change? Honda CVT from my dealership is ~CAD$18/qt (x3 quarts for a change), and this is normal from what I've heard.
It is $6/qt. here in California, and at my garage, the labor to remove and replace is free.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

To Chris, regarding the oil filter socket:

I've acquired a couple of the Honda filter sockets: one for the older style, larger diameter filters, and a smaller one which I initially bought for the Honda Hurricane (motorcycle) filter. This smaller filter migrated over to automotive use, or at least it's dimensions dimensions did. One thing the the socket type is very hand for is to apply precise torque. Well except that the 8.7 ft/lb torque spec. is sort-of off the scale for my 1/2" drive micrometer style torque wrench, which only officially goes down to 10 ft/lb. I just set it slightly below 10 and dub it done. Seems to concur with the 3/4 turn criteria.

Regarding CVT fluid price:

Just checking my recent Honda CVT fluid purchase, it was: 19.52 (list), 16.27 (net), per US quart. My price was net, that's in Canadian dollars. I'm not sure how that works: sometimes the Parts Dep. gives me a break I guess.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 03-01-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

jetstream

I got the cvt oil, cabin filter, and air filter for 60 delivered to my door. From http://www.handa-accessories.com/ Great prices .

I hope it helps, the local dealer in richmond,va. wanted 18 per qt.

thanks
Brian

Old 03-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

$16.27 CDN IS $12.75 US, I guess there is a premium for living in Canada.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast

It is easy to do the oil change but oil change should only be performed when the maintenance minder indicates an oil life of 15% or less.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Josh, you'll find that some people don't care what the MM says and go with what they know. Others take what they're given and... adjust... for local conditions. A few even do things others might consider silly and/or unwise. Regardless, everyone shares, and if people find things that work, others will pick up on it and tag along with it.

Now if you'll excuse me, my grille block needs put back in, and my tires might be low. Keeping 50psi in the cold is a real pain

Old 11-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orient Express
$16.27 CDN IS $12.75 US, I guess there is a premium for living in Canada.
Actually, the exchange rate is not that bad -- currently around 1.07 or 1.08 Cana-buck per USD.

A few days ago, bought my first items at my selling Honda dealer for a DIY on the 2007 HCH (Maint. Minder about 4% on a A123 code at 41.9K kilometers (26,000 miles). 0W-20 oil was $ 7.19 list per litre; Honda oil filter [made by Honeywell ?] $8.07 ; CVT fluid $ 17.24 per US quart (ouch); cabin pollen/dust filter $36.78 (double ouch); engine air cleaner $18.48. With 5% federal tax (Alberta has no provincial tax) the total was $155 Cdn (about $144 US). Would have been about $460 if I let the dealer do it all, incl. tire rotation .

I do have some serious questions about that dang dipstick reading on the CVT. [put in the 3 US quarts; now it's either over-filled or under, depending on interpretation of the method in the owner manual]. I've done some reading on other threads but questions persist.

Quick Reply: How hard to change the oil in the HCH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands