How much does it COST to REPLACE HCH2 Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: How much does it COST to REPLACE HCH2 Battery?

Dave, you're barking up the wrong tree. Most people here are quite helpful (including 1stpik). And, I for one, bought my HCH2 mostly to save MONEY and reduce my funding of terrorism. The green-factor, while nice, was certainly not on the top of my list. I know others on this site who feel the same way. So don't paint us all green with that giant paintbrush you're wielding
Many of us DO have our radar on, looking out for the occasional troll. These trolls post questions or comments meant to bring disfavor on the hybrid technology. There have been quite a few on this very site over the years. Mostly, we have zero patience for such non-sense.

Now, for MY perspective. I bought a 2006 HCH2, AND I bought the extended HondaCare warranty. I bought the extended warranty partly to cover the hybrid (IMA) battery for 8yr/120K, because in my state (TX), the IMA battery warranty is 8yr/80K. I'll have 80K on my HCH2 in 4-5 years, not 8. So, yes, I fretted a little over the IMA battery longevity myself.

You, being in CA, should be getting the 10yr/150K factory warranty (Be absolutely SURE about this supposition). If so, I'd have NO hesitation in buying a used CA hybrid, unless it already has over 100K on it.

Finally, replacement IMA battery (and potentially other related components) cost is difficult to know for certain. If YOU called a Honda dealer, you're likely NOT to get a straight answer either (if one at all). They really want to keep such failures quiet. Is this fair? No. Does Honda sometimes (maybe even often) help with the cost of replacement? Yes. As best as we can tell, from other posters that have have this work done - the total cost (if Honda doesn't help defray it) is anywhere from $2500-$5000. That's such a broad range as to be almost useless - but at least you know it's potentially rather large. Just as a new tranny would be. One wonders about the percentage of HCH1 or HCH2's that are now sporting new batteries. I suspect the % is quite small.

What specific vehicles are you considering? We may be able to point you to threads here which are relevant. Also, use search here. There's a TON of real information on this site. There are even folks that have posted on just this very topic, and their experiences.

Also, you may be able to get the IMA battery %-remaining-capacity tested at a Honda shop. I think others have done this, or get it done when getting service done on their HCH's. Something like that may reduce your chances of buying one whose IMA battery is on its last legs.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

1stpick and others --

Just to let you know that you're not always right,since you speak with such self-assurance and bogus authority:

My husband and I own a 2008 Camry Hybrid and a 1989 Mazda with 338,472 miles on it. We've been wondering what the battery on the hybrid would cost, since we fully intend to buy another one or something else that is hybrid or electric this year.

I called the local Toyota dealer to find out, and was told the Camry Hybrid battery is $5766. I didn't remember to ask if that's installed or not, though, and didn't ask if the warranty is limited, since that question seemed to be settled to my satisfaction above. I hope this information helps anyone who has this honest question.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by susanka
I hope this information helps anyone who has this honest question.
How does information regarding a TCH battery help a Civic owner or someone who is thinking about buying one? The Camry has a much larger battery, so it would be logical to assume that it is more expensive.

I would use any price quoted today as a high end of the spectrum and expect the costs to decline over the coming years. Both Honda and Toyota have decreased the cost of replacement batteries during the last year, and will likely continue to do so as their production capacity increases. Also, you have to consider the likelyhood of third party replacement packs coming on the market in the future, which will provide other lower cost options (and possibly even more power).

Old 02-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey susanka, before you critisize everyone here check where you are this is the HONDA CIVIC HYBRID forum of course the price will differ let see hum TOYOTA? hum CAMRY. ok that means wrong make and wrong model = wrong price. so to Quote yourself
"Just to let you know that you're not always right,since you speak with such self-assurance and bogus authority"

Old 02-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

I'm still trying to figure out why (s)he chose that to be the very first post they ever made. Something smells, and it's rather under-bridge-like.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Pragmatist

FWIW I bought a 2009 HCH that was a lease return with about 60k miles on it last year. After about six months my non-highway MPG started dropping dramatically. I took the car in suspecting an IMA or battery issue. Honda charged $169 to run a diagnostic test and found that the batteries were severely degraded. So after four years of service, they needed to be replaced. The 10 year warranty covered every penny, and my MPG around town jumped from the 20s to the 30s. I was amazed. Because of the warranty on the batteries I think a used HCH is an awesome value. People are afraid of potential problems and I think that has kept the cost artificially low compared to other Civics. I paid $16k for a like new car. I love the thing. Full leather. Nav. Bluetooth. iPod integration.

The bottom line is that I will probably need another battery change in a few years. So the car is a bad deal for the environment and Honda, but a great deal for me. Ironic. Hopefully they are reconditioning the old batteries in some environmentally friendly way. It would have cost $3000 if not under State mandated warranty, BTW. So, to the people who were dismissive of the "battery question"...I gues we now know the answer. If you have an HCH and are getting anything less than 30 MPG EVER...I highly recommend having your batteries checked.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:08 AM
Enthusiast

Research - research - research.... I own a 2005 Civic Hybrid - the engine check light and IMA light just came on. Now I have done my research and found a company that remanufactures the battery packs for approx. $1,800. I watched their video and it takes about 30 minutes to replace (that is if you are tech savvy and know how to use a volt/ohm meter). You have to embrace this new technology.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gbarbur
Research - research - research.... I own a 2005 Civic Hybrid - the engine check light and IMA light just came on. Now I have done my research and found a company that remanufactures the battery packs for approx. $1,800. I watched their video and it takes about 30 minutes to replace (that is if you are tech savvy and know how to use a volt/ohm meter). You have to embrace this new technology.
Now $1750 http://ampedhybrid.com

Old 05-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: How much does it COST to REPLACE HCH2 Battery?

I went to a local Honda dealer in the Twin Cities and had them check out the codes p1600 and p1433. They said I was correct on my assumption about the Battery Pack. The Service Manager contacted the Honda Rep. to see what if Honda would pay a portion of the replacement. They came back with total cost to me of $1,500.00. I gladly scheduled the appointment. Now I'm good to go for 10 more years.

If you don't ask the Dealer for assistance you'll never know. I saved about $750.00.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:57 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gbarbur
I went to a local Honda dealer in the Twin Cities and had them check out the codes p1600 and p1433. They said I was correct on my assumption about the Battery Pack. The Service Manager contacted the Honda Rep. to see what if Honda would pay a portion of the replacement. They came back with total cost to me of $1,500.00. I gladly scheduled the appointment. Now I'm good to go for 10 more years.

If you don't ask the Dealer for assistance you'll never know. I saved about $750.00.
But that isn't a new battery, so expect more like 3-5 years.

Quick Reply: How much does it COST to REPLACE HCH2 Battery?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands