How to reset maintenance required light?

Old 04-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default How to reset maintenance required light?

How do I reset the maintenance required light? I don't want the dealers help every time I change the oil.

I bet this has been answered here already. If the search function returned something other than a blank page I would probably have the answer already. Gotta love computers.

Old 04-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: How to reset maintenance required light?

With the ignition off, hold down (push in) the trip reset button. Continue to hold it in as you start the car. I hold it in for about 10 seconds. I believe there is a page in the manual that describes it - probably better than my description above... but if you do it this way, the maintenance required light should reset.

Old 04-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Enthusiast

Here's how to get around having to do it at all.

Fill the filter up with oil before you screw it on. I have yet to try it, I'm due in about 1000 miles, but the dealer told me that was the trick.

Old 04-13-2005, 12:18 PM

You sure you aren't thinking of the CEL (check engine light)

Old 07-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The reset procedure should be near the beginning of the maintenance section of your Owners Manual, if it's like our HCHII manual.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 07-13-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zhybrid
With the ignition off, hold down (push in) the trip reset button. Continue to hold it in as you start the car. I hold it in for about 10 seconds. I believe there is a page in the manual that describes it - probably better than my description above... but if you do it this way, the maintenance required light should reset.
I currently log my mileage since I bought my car from a private seller on Trip A, and my tank progress on Trip B. I guess I'll have to wait until I refill my tank, before I use this maintenance light reset remedy, hmm? I wouldn't want my mileage cleared.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Enthusiast

I've already answered this personally, but for reference for others with the question...

To reset the malfunction indicator light (check engine), disconnect the 12v battery for 2 minutes then reconnect. It will reset the light (codes will still be in the computer, though according to what the dealer told me), reset the radio (code will be needed if factory), but will RETAIN MPG and mileage figures on the ODO screen.

Helps keep the pesky light away. If you have the same problem again, the light will return. This happened with my IMA.