Hybrid Cost in Detroit/Ann Arbor Area

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Hybrid Cost in Detroit/Ann Arbor Area

Hello all,

I am getting ready to get a 2007 HCH w/nav in magnetic pearl in Ann Arbor. I was surprised by the number of hyrbids on some of the lots I have been to, the one in Ann Arbor, a town you would expect to have hybrids in short supply, had 9 on the lot.

I was wondering what other people in the area have paid for their hybrid. I am aware of the thread discussing pricing, but that is mostly in Ca, and not here where the demand seems less. I was hoping that some people in the area might give me a better picture of the area.

Thanks.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Cost in Detroit/Ann Arbor Area

Alex,
I'm not in Michigan, but am in the midwest (Davenport, IA). When I bought my '06 last Feb. there were four HCHII's on the lot for me to choose from. At the same time, many at GH were having to pay at or above MSRP, especially in California, and having to wait weeks or months for their vehicles. My dealer has a no-haggle policy, and I bought mine for about $1,000 under MSRP. But then the gas prices went up, and my dealer didn't order many more, I think because the original shipment had sat on the lot for awhile due to low demand, so by late spring there were none to be found around here.

The point is, it's all about timing. Gas prices are down, and the midwest doesn't have the same appetite for hybrids as California has, so this seems like it would be a great time to jump on the chance to get one, hopefully at a good price. Shop around, and if you can't get dealers to give you below MSRP, look for a dealer that offers a no-haggle (one price) policy. They very well may discount the hybrids with the same margin they discount everything else. I'm guessing you won't find a better time to buy than now. Once the summer driving season arives, gas prices could escallate again and you may find the lots devoid of hybrids.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Enthusiast

Alex,

I spoke with some dealers in Dallas, TX after new year's because I was in town and visiting relatives. Hybrid's are not in huge demand there and they said Japan shipped a ton to US dealers in December, so there is a ton of inventory.

When I returned here (Bay Area, not the best place to buy a hybrid) they were willing to match Dallas prices and I just bought one.

I think the timing now is pretty good.

Doberwiler

Old 01-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Energy Independence

When I was looking to buy my new 2006 HCH2 (I started looking in late 2005), the market in the Dallas area was far different. No dealer would come down off of MSRP. So I ordered one from a dealer in Oklahoma instead. I waited for several months, but was in no particular hurry. Saving $1500 was worth the wait for me!

Point being, if the Dallas dealers are dealing now, then, yes, now is a good time to buy.