I did a bad, bad thing... drove an 03 Si

Old 09-18-2007, 07:21 AM
hypermiler wannabe
Talking I did a bad, bad thing... drove an 03 Si

...and bought it!! Wow, this is a rocket. I drove Civics for years (82, 89, 92) then upgraded to Accords, but have held a place in my heart for a CRX.

Well, I couldn't find one, (nor justify a 2-seater) but the other day, I found a 'well known in my neighborhood' Civic Si for sale and couldn't resist. One drive and I wrote the check.

And yes, I still have the HCH-II... am I a bad person or do I just have a split personality?

Old 09-18-2007, 07:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I did a bad, bad thing... drove an 03 Si

Wow, that looks like fun!

I'd vote for split personality. Now you have to get Jeckle and Hyde license plates.

How do you like the dash mounted stick?

How's the mileage?

Update your sig!

... and Congrats!

Old 09-18-2007, 11:15 AM
hypermiler wannabe

Yes, I'm very proud (well both of me are)

The dash-mount stick is no novelty. Took 10mins to get used to the fulcrum being more vertical than horizontal. Now it just feels right--shifts seem quicker and smoother than my miata, but I do hear more mechanical noise (must be amplified by the dash console, but not annoying)

Only had it two days, but put a scan gauge in that suggests I'm getting about 30mpg. At this point I note, this is not a stock Si, it has a franken-motor consisting of Element, CRV and Integra parts. I've got it's "papers" from a recent dyno trip showing 168hp at the wheels. It also shows 200hp/200lb-ft at the flywheel. (This ain't my granny's civic!)

I'm embarassed to add it to my sig, since I know I'll drive the snot out of it and get poor mileage... but my smile meter will be off the scale!

Old 09-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Old Boomer Techie
Thumbs up Re: I did a bad, bad thing... drove an 03 Si

Originally Posted by davidwells
.... I'm embarassed to add it to my sig, since I know I'll drive the snot out of it and get poor mileage... but my smile meter will be off the scale!
Rawhiding an Si! Oh well, if you are going to play at least you are doing it with a small displacement engine that will probably get at least 25 MPG if you ride it hard and put it away wet. That will still be better that most of the Detroit V8s and even some V6 powered toys. So you're "both" still a "good guy". Heck, I know some ATVs that will not get that FE.

"Play Hard - Play Fast - Play Responsibily!"

Last edited by FastMover; 09-18-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Green with envy... But I am gonna buy another high MPG vehicle.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Enthusiast

I had a 2004 Si and really enjoyed it for the short time that I had it. I averaged around 31 mpg. Loved the engine, hatchback, and interior space. My only complaints were the numb steering and the harsh ride on rough roads.

Would have kept the Si, but needed a 4-door for the growing family. The HCH II might have far less horsepower than a Si, but is way faster than the Si during LA rush hour thanks to CA carpool lane stickers.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:17 AM
Vegetarian

Originally Posted by slowspark01
The HCH II might have far less horsepower than a Si, but is way faster than the Si during LA rush hour thanks to CA carpool lane stickers.
Hehehe, who would have though a hybrid would be faster than an Si. I should send this to my sister, she has an '00 Si.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Enthusiast

I'd take a Detroit V8 any day of the week.... Of course I have a '68 mustang sitting in my garage and had a shelby cobra replica sitting next to it for quite a while. Fuel Injected 302's went into both putting out 380HP at the engine but never dyno'd them to find out what was making it to the wheels. The mustang is an auto now with a 289 and the cobra was a 5speed.