I'm confused - HCH2 Question

Old 01-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default I'm confused - HCH2 Question

Here is a snip from:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/learn/ar...old.html/page2

Cylinder Idle: This is the most exciting part of the 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid; this is what gives it the title of a “full” hybrid and allows it to compete more evenly with the likes of the Toyota Prius. Cylinder idle happens during deceleration and highway cruising, and it involves a shut-down of the gasoline engine and transfers all power to the electric motor.

End of snip

Is this “Cylinder Idle” also called EV or glide here at greenhybrid?
If the engine shuts down wouldn't the tachometer go to zero like it does in autostop?

If my car can do this it must have done it already in the 700 miles I have driven.
I have never seen the tach go to zero while coasting with the engine warmed up.
How do I know it is in Cylinder Idle?
What do I see on the dash?
And if EV or glide is different, how do i know when I am in those modes.

Please don't send me to the 14-page thread.
I've read it and am still confused - to many confusing posts.

Last edited by kenny; 01-12-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Default Re: I'm confused - HCH2 Question

Yes, I think cylinder idle is called EV here. The reason you aren't seeing rpms go to 0 I suspect is because while the valves are shut and now fuel is being used the engine is still spinning. It is one thing Wayne doesn't like about the system. You can tell you are in EV mode buy watching the instantanious. It should act the same way it did when it got to lean burn on the HCH I.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:35 PM

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you've got time (and a fast connection), there's an excellent 10-minute video on how it all works here:

http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/200...05b/index.html

It's hard to tell when you've gone into EV mode, except by the gauges. You can *feel* it coming out, however. When the IMPG gauge is pegged at 100, press the gas pedal *very* lightly until you get a few assist bars. Press more (or hold it there for as long as you can), and eventually you'll feel a little 'shudder' from the ICE starting up again.

Last edited by subnivean; 01-12-2006 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Oh, just stupid....
Old 01-12-2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by xcel
Since the intake and exhaust valves are closed and there is no gasoline being pumped into the cylinders via the injectors, you have IMA attempting to maintain the CVT spinning at a given RPM with the Crankshaft going along for the ride.
Are you sure this is accurate? I didn't think any IMA (EV) power is used to rotate the shut down engine. Doesn't the momentum of the vehicle turn the engine via the driveshaft? The IMA usually takes the opportunity to produce some regen, so it's also being carried by the momentum of the car, unless you apply a bit of pressure to the gas pedal. A little bit of pressure cancels the regen and gets you into pure coasting. More pressure gets the IMA into assist mode, which is effectively a bit of EV propulsion. And a tiny bit more pressure gets the ICE to go active again.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:21 PM

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:37 PM

Hi ElanC:

___IMA is attached to the crank. No clutch unfortunately … If IMA provides Assist, Regen, or EV/Glide, the ICE is spinning at the same RPM as IMA. When IMA is attempting to power the CVT, it is also spinning over the ICE at the same RPM....
I don't understand what you mean by "IMA is attempting to power the CVT".
When the vehicle is gliding on its own momentum the whole power train is spinning. The wheels turn the driveshaft which spins both the ICE and the electric motor. Neither of them is active (consuming fuel or electricity). Both are spinning free, as far as I know. Isn't that true?

Old 01-12-2006, 09:58 PM

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:09 PM

Hi ElanC:

___What are you trying to get at?
You seem grumpy today.

Not getting at anything. Trying to understand what you mean. You wrote "IMA is attempting to power the CVT". To me it sounds like you're saying that the electric motor is working, consuming electricity, to spin the CVT and the ICE. In a glide, with ICE shut off, I don't think that's true. Do you?

Old 01-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElanC
You seem grumpy today.

Not getting at anything. Trying to understand what you mean. You wrote "IMA is attempting to power the CVT". To me it sounds like you're saying that the electric motor is working, consuming electricity, to spin the CVT and the ICE. In a glide, with ICE shut off, I don't think that's true. Do you?
I think what he was saying is that in EV mode with assist, the electric motor is not just propelling the car, it also has to keep the crank spinning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm confused - HCH2 Question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands