IMA Battery Replacement Options?

Old 09-23-2014, 11:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Battery Replacement Options?

Originally Posted by rossfree
I just ordered a replacement hybrid battery for a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid from Revolt. Cost $2550 with new 8ah cells, shipping and refundable deposit. I will let you know of my experience when I get it installed, hopefully next week.

Ross
Ross,

I've read your Battery refurb thread. Does this make your third pack counting your original, the spare and now this one?

What where your results with the original refurb? Did you ever get to the second pack? What is your experience with the Revolt pack?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 09-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi Steve,

The initial refurb of my pack had mixed results. It seemed better but nothing to write home about.

I believe the only way to accomplish a descent refurb is to understand the charge / discharge curve of every group of cells. At the time I did not have the means of doing this. I later purchased a CBA4 Battery Analizer from West Mountain Radio:

http://www.powerwerx.com/batteries-c...-analyzer.html

but alas, I never got around to using it. I put the second-hand pack in the car and the first still sits in the basement collecting dust. Life caught up with me and I was on to other things.

The last straw was the IMA light coming on and constant resets on the battery. So annoying. I ran across revolt and just did it.

I have not driven the car much since but my wife took it for a 2500 mile trip and she says it works well. Time will tell. But I have to say it's nice to see that IMA light go off!

I wish I could tell you more. Bottom line, refurbing a pack requires finding the bad groups of cells... the ones that self-discharge too quickly or don't charge adequately enough. The CBA4 connects to your computer and graphically presents the charging and discharge curves so you can more closely match cell groups in your pack and get the most from it.

I hope this all helps!

Best of luck!

Ross

Old 09-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

OH... and yes, the pack from Revolt is my third pack.

Ross

Old 09-24-2014, 01:03 PM

Ross,

Thank you for your reply. I was contemplating going down the same path with several Imax B6 conditioners, but it lacks the reporting capabilities of the unit you linked.

I have a day off Friday to make a three day weekend, and I'm going to do a trio of grid charge/discharge cycles in hopes of restoring some life to my 132K mi pack. The long term option is to get a second pack and a unit comparable to one you linked. Know anybody looking to recoup the cost of a replacement pack by selling a spare pack and logging-capable charger?

Enjoy the Revolt pack. I'm sure it's a better option than a self-refurb in any case. I'm just not keen to drop that kind of change if I still have a drivable car.

Thanks again for the update,

Steve

Old 09-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi Steve,

Where are you located? I'm in New Hampshire. Don't know if you're interested in what I have but if the shipping isn't too much I'll ship my pack and conditioner to you for $250 plus shipping. The conditioner has never been used and everything is still together. I also have a shipping box for the pack. Let me know.

Ross

Old 09-24-2014, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by rossfree
Hi Steve,

Where are you located? I'm in New Hampshire. Don't know if you're interested in what I have but if the shipping isn't too much I'll ship my pack and conditioner to you for $250 plus shipping. The conditioner has never been used and everything is still together. I also have a shipping box for the pack. Let me know.

Ross
PM Sent

Old 09-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast

I have a HCH 2006 with 110K miles. I am in GA. The IMA light did not come on, but the care is acting up while starting. I can jump start it and keep it running for some time before I take it out for ride. But the battery won't retain the charge. Because I have to go through this exercise twice a day.

Called Honda and they told me that I need to visit the dealership to validate that this is related to IMA Battery. If it turns out to be, then the owner has to bear the cost of replacement which is approx. $3000. Will keep the forum posted.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ioimparo
I have a HCH 2006 with 110K miles. I am in GA. The IMA light did not come on, but the care is acting up while starting. I can jump start it and keep it running for some time before I take it out for ride. But the battery won't retain the charge. Because I have to go through this exercise twice a day.

Called Honda and they told me that I need to visit the dealership to validate that this is related to IMA Battery. If it turns out to be, then the owner has to bear the cost of replacement which is approx. $3000. Will keep the forum posted.
It sounds like you're describing an issue with the 12V battery and not the IMA battery.

What is the age of your 12V battery? Have you had the 12V battery tested? Here in AZ, I'm accustomed to replacing batteries every 2-4 years. My last Honda 12V 151R battery died at 46 months.

I recommend you replace the 151R battery with a 51R. It will fit if you remove the shrouds and install with only the clamp. A weak or failing 12V battery puts additional stress on the IMA system as all 12V charging occurs via the 10hp IMA motor/battery. 12V power and charging is supplied by the DC to DC converter that steps down the 158V IMA system.

The 51R is larger and has about 65% more cold cranking amps. It's a larger "well" of electrons and helps reduce the demand on the IMA system to supply 12V power.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 09-25-2014, 02:26 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Steve. Should I go to a Honda Dealer and get ripped off (possibly) or Auto-zone? I haven't changed the 12v battery since I bought the vehicle.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

The 12volt battery is fairly inexpensive and a good place to start.

I don't think I would go to the dealer for an auto battery. You can save a bit of money and get something suitable anywhere… Wallyworld, Sears, Autozone. A slightly larger battery as suggested is a good idea as long as it fits. Most cars can take a slightly larger battery without much trouble. The larger battery will work the same but give you a bit more power and longevity.

I hope this solves your problem.

Best of luck,

Ross

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IMA Battery Replacement Options?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands