IMA Battery Replacement Options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Battery Replacement Options?

Originally Posted by S Keith
Sounds like you're off to a good start. The 9yr/96K mi applies to you due to the settlement in the states.
We'll see, thanks to that link you gave me earlier.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

Sounds like you're off to a good start. The 9yr/96K mi applies to you due to the settlement in the states.
Honda just called and said battery pack need to be replaced and will be taken care of under warranty with no questions asked

Old 10-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tattoogunman
Honda just called and said battery pack need to be replaced and will be taken care of under warranty with no questions asked
I weep tears of joy for you!

Old 10-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Enthusiast

I weep tears of joy for you!
Yeah, I had two different dealers tell me it shouldn't be a problem when I was buying it, but until you get that phone call that backs that up, you're still on pins and needles a bit

Old 10-28-2014, 02:43 PM
Enthusiast

Wow... this thread really took off since I last checked in! Thanks for all the replies... a little off-track from what I was looking for, but still some really good information here.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my situation before winter gets here. I'm torn as to whether it would be better to purchase a new or refurbished battery, or purchase a grid charger.

I'm going to contact the guys at HybridAutomotive.com tomorrow to get some additional information on their grid chargers with the discharge feature. I'm a little skeptical that my battery can be salvage for only around $400.

My 2008 Civic now has over 180K, and I haven't gotten anymore IMA/CE lights since January (I'm sure they'll start showing up once the cold weather gets here). I'm also on the original 12v battery, so I'm going to get that replaced before winter as well.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Heh... probably my fault. I ramble and digress at the drop of a hat. I built my own grid charger for about $100 and use a $12 500W Harbor Freight halogen lamp to discharge. I'd go the 99mpg route next time and get the 600W version at Lowe's and re-wire the bulbs in series. I cooked a bulb as the output at 180V is close to 750W. It still lasted long enough to do three cycles on my fist pack and the first cycle of a second. I bought spare bulbs just in case

While I can't say it's "salvaged" my grid charge/discharge results are very satisfying. I still get a recal per trip, but I'm getting IMA function vastly superior to what I received the last couple years. My first full tank after the grid charge yielded 52.3mpg over 534.2 miles. 90% surface streets at 35-45mph and 10% highway at up to 65mph.

Definitely get that 12V replaced ASAP. It's likely contributing to the frequency of your IMA/CE lights. 6 years on a battery is pushing it. Again, I recommend a 51R in place of the 151R.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:58 PM
Enthusiast

Stay away from hybrid revolt IMO. I got a battery from them and have had problems but the biggest problem is that I can't get ahold of anyone to even ask questions. I end up calling around to good companies like bumblebee to try and get info. Wish I would have known in the beginning to hit up bumblebee for my replacement...
1800$ mistake using hybridrevolt...