IMA fails in extreme cold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 06:24 AM
Enthusiast
Default IMA fails in extreme cold?

Has anyone else had a problem with the IMA battery not working after the car sits out in the extreme cold? My 2003 HCH sat out overnight for 2 nights in -20 F temps. When I started the car, the check engine, IMA, and battery lights came on. I could drive the car, but the IMA battery wasn't working. The assist/charge meters were doing nothing, although it showed that the battery was charged. Once the car was warmed up, I restarted the car, the IMA and battery lights were off, and the IMA battery seemed to work normally; but, the check engine light remained on. I had the codes checked and they were:

POA80 Battery pack needs replacement
PO1456 Fuel evaporation leak detected
P1600 IMA malfunction

The mechanic turned off/reset the engine light and so far it hasn't turned back on after driving it around for a few days. It seems to be working normally, but I'm still leery, since this is a two year old replacement battery from Honda, installed by the dealer. (I got a 'discount' from their customer care center, $1200. ) I'm not really interested replacing the battery again.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA fails in extreme cold?

The IMA Batteries do not like extreme cold.

You would be well advised to get a grid charger to help maintain your recent replacement pack. It also can warm it up a bit when charging overnight.

Jeff at Hybrid automotive in US is a good supplier.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA fails in extreme cold?

Thanks for the info! Usually the car is garaged, so it doesn't typically stay out overnight in the brutal Midwest winter.

Ever since the car has been operating normally. The check engine light has remained off after a few weeks since this occurred.