IMPG goes to zero.... is this normal

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default IMPG goes to zero.... is this normal

We live on the top of a mountain, at 1850 ft elevation. Almost anywhere we go, we start out by descending about 1000 ft down a 3 mile hill, with a traffic light at the bottom. We have noticed that everytime we make the descent, our IMPG display drops to 0 about half way down the hill, and stays at zero until we stop at the traffic light at the bottom. From then on, it appears to behave normally. This is a 7% grade, and regen is on all the way down... we should be consuming no fuel, or just a little to warm the engine.

Is this normal?

Thanks

Old 03-06-2006, 12:01 PM
YA RLY.
Default Re: IMPG goes to zero.... is this normal

If you just started the car before driving down the hill then this is normal. The engine has not yet warmed up and will not shut off the fuel injectors while coasting until it has done so (or at least a partial warmup).

Old 03-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, but while coasting your mpg gauge should be pegged at 100+. I have had this happen to me for about 5 seconds, where I'll be coasting, at a decent clip and the mpg gauge will slowly drop to 0 then recover to where I expect to see it. I think the measurement is inaccurate, no way that is the actual milage

DKeane

Old 03-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, this has been a reported bug in the software and will probably be fixed in a software update sometime this year. I noticed the problem the first week I owned my 06 HCH, but now that I know that it happens to everybody, it really doesn't concern me anymore...

Old 03-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It has happened to me as well. I was under the impression that the IMPG meter was undergoing calibration no ???? I didn't know it was a bug. I will look it up in the manual today....