Installing a Portable Sirius Radio Using Jack

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Installing a Portable Sirius Radio Using Jack

Hi,

On the radio it mentions an auxillary jack. Has anyone tried to plug into this jack? I'm purchasing a Sirius Sportster and want to use the jack if it's available? This would allow me to get a clean signal and circumvent the use of FM modulation.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Installing a Portable Sirius Radio Using Jack

I've plugged into the aux jack with both a Creative MP3 player as well as my Tao XM2GO and it works fine. The Sirius content won't be as good as the XM but the audio quality should be just fine.

Dan

Old 05-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,

I have been using my portable Sirius by plugging it in the auxiliary jack of my HCH. It works great. I don’t really see why people would want to spend several hundred dollars to install a Satellite radio in their HCH and not be able to move the radio when they need to. I use my Sirius in my HCH, at home, in my other vehicle and sometimes at work.

Old 05-09-2006, 04:11 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks. Does anyone have any pics. I was thinking of mounting a sportster behind the gear shirt (auto).

dgkenney: Why do you say that the content isn't as good. I have had Sirius for a while in my truck?

Old 05-09-2006, 04:45 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by traderfjp
dgkenney: Why do you say that the content isn't as good. I have had Sirius for a while in my truck?
Just kidding you. Anytime an XM guy runs into a Sirius guy (and of course vice-versa) you have to tweak them a little.

They are both great services and both will work great in your HCH.

Enjoy.

Dan

Old 05-09-2006, 07:09 AM
Enthusiast

Hi,

On the radio it mentions an auxillary jack. Has anyone tried to plug into this jack? I'm purchasing a Sirius Sportster and want to use the jack if it's available? This would allow me to get a clean signal and circumvent the use of FM modulation.

Thanks in advance.
I use that jack constantly for both my iPod and my Delphi XM2go. The quality is wonderful. Neither device is peramantly installed in my car....I just drop them in the cup holder when I'm using them and remove them when I get out of the car.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

You can pretty much plug any audio signal into that jack.

If you were clever enough, you could take the typical 3.5mm connection of a cell phone, split the output from the input (speaker from the Microphone line) and connect it to the 1/4" input jack such that your caller would be heard through the radio. You could install a Microphone in the car and have it as a handsfree system. The only risk is overmodulation/distortion in the event the signal was too loud; but the volume on the phone could handle that part...

Old 05-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Installing a Portable Sirius Radio Using Jack

Hi,

Thanks in advance.
I currently have the Sirius Sportster installed in my 06 HCH II. I got a six inch cable at radio shack and put the reciever in the center console area under the aux jack. It fits perfectly and sounds great!!

Old 05-12-2006, 05:58 AM
Aneil Mishra, Ph.D.

My IPod works perfectly, and I'll start using my Pioneer Airware XM radio as soon as I get bored with my latest ITunes.

I have to agree that XM will "sound" better than Sirius, but that is only because I prefer the XM content!