its nice to be 62 mile bug free

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 11:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: its nice to be 62 mile bug free

I find this kind of weird that it resets the main odometer. I just had my '04 worked on and the battery was disconnected for over 1.5 months and everything was just the way that I left it.

Won't that affect the value of the vehicle if the odometer is not correct?

Thanks,
Jessica

Old 04-10-2006, 11:43 AM
YA RLY.

I'm back from the dealer. Originally, he said it would take half an hour but it didn't work out that way. The guy who wrote up the work order wrote "fuel gauge" instead of "fuel economy gauge" so the tech spent half an hour trying to diagnose a fully functional fuel level gauge. After he figures this out, I tell him I have parts waiting for me so check with the parts department; the issue is with the tachometer gauge control module. The part is actually a CD. The tech has to open up part of the dashboard, connect the TGCM to a computer, then run the CD. The CD had a different version number on it, but the guy tells me that this is the latest and greatest version. The reprogramming took 4 or 5 tries before it completed (the first few just didn't go - I'm hoping it was issues with the PC and not the car computer). The whole deal took about 2 hours Now I'm not yet past 62 miles so I don't know if this cured everything.

And yes, the main odometer does get reset, but they reprogrammed it to the correct mileage.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sledge
The part is actually a CD. The tech has to open up part of the dashboard, connect the TGCM to a computer, then run the CD. The CD had a different version number on it, but the guy tells me that this is the latest and greatest version. The reprogramming took 4 or 5 tries before it completed
And yes, the main odometer does get reset, but they reprogrammed it to the correct mileage.
Well I'm glad your odometer was reprogrammed, but this sounds like a very different process than what Mikeyt758 got. Yours sounds like a pure software update. He says he got a "whole new gauge cluster"--and they didn't update his new odometer--left it at zero. Different fixes due to different VINs, possibly?

Old 04-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast

I'm not sure mine has it. I filled it recently, and hit the 62-63 mile mark today driving home from work. It was 39.1 and didn't change much, no more than a few 10ths. It did rise to low40's soon after, but not until well past the 64 mile mark. I was in the high 40's by mile 68, but I had also gotten off 1-95 by then and was driving on secondary roads.The terrain here is rolling hills. I doubt my car has the bug, just because I saw no significant change. That and because what my trip meter read for mileage and what I calculate when I fill the tank are very close.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:54 PM
YA RLY.

Tarabell, I didn't stick around long enough to get the paperwork as I was already 1.5 hrs late for work. They said they'd mail it to me. When I get it, it should say what exactly they did.

TerrierMom, I have complete faith that you'll break out of the high 30's/low 40's and become a full fledged hypermiler

Old 04-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Terriermom,

From the data you just told us, I would almost guarantee that you have the bug. If at 62 miles you averaged 39.1mpg - that means you used 1.58 gallons of gas to drive those 62 miles. If at 68 miles you were in the "high 40's" (I used 48 for my calculation???) that means that you had used 1.42 gallons of gas to drive the 68 miles total. You can't go 6 miles on negative .16 gallons. It is likely that your driving is consistent enough that your 'tank mileage' when you fill up is representative of your overall mileage (i.e. you drive the same commute over and over and don't do much else?) If this is the case then that would explain why your 'tank mileage' from the last reset till fill-up is the same as your calculated mileage.

Eric

Old 04-10-2006, 05:55 PM

If you want to know whether or not you have the bug, there is a very simple test that I have verified several times to work.

When you are approaching a multiple of 62 on your trip OD, switch over to metric by pushing and holding the temp/mpg button for a second or two (next to the SEL/RESET button). Once you are in metric, watch the kilometers and the l/100km. Normally you will see very little change in the 1/100km meter. When you get to a multiple of 100 km, punch the accelerator hard for at least .3 km. You will see the l/100 km change significantly (increases) as the mileage goes from 100.0 to 100.3 (for example), assuming you have the bug. If you don't have the bug, you should see at most a .1 increase in l/100km.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:00 PM

If you disconnect the MAIN battery, as I've done before, the tripometers will DEFINITELY zero out, but not the odometer.

Old 04-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

I received this today from Honda:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...sion.6774.html

Old 04-12-2006, 06:31 PM
YA RLY.

Passed 62 miles today and all is well

Quick Reply: its nice to be 62 mile bug free

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands