It's time for me to decide...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 11:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default It's time for me to decide...

Because my little old Protege decided to die, I can no longer wait to see what Honda's going to be offering on the 2006 model. As far as the current model goes, what are some things that you don't like about it? For example, the low horsepower sounds like it might be something that would bother me, but something that I could learn to live with. Also, I've read the other threads about the Hybrid and the EX, but if anyone wants to weigh in on that one again, that would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: It's time for me to decide...

Originally Posted by mattm
Because my little old Protege decided to die, I can no longer wait to see what Honda's going to be offering on the 2006 model. As far as the current model goes, what are some things that you don't like about it?
Sorry to hear about your Mazda. My mom's has a 626 with 200k+ miles on it.

As far as the current HCH goes I love my MT and have few complaints. The power is fine for normal driving. Check the torque figures, you will see the HCH as more torque at lower rpm than any other Civic. I wouldn't call the car quick, more like OK. There is only a couple things I can think of that I don't like about my HCH. One is the location of the battery pack. Because of where they put the pack you can not fold down the rear seats. The other thing I don't like is that the mileage displays do not move every tenth but wait 3 or 4 tenths before moving. For example it jumps from 74.1 to 74.5. It never says 74.2 or 74.3 or 74.4. The instant display has jumps of 3 or 4 whole mpgs. both could stand improvement , but I'm really just being nitpicky.

The CVT worries me as far as long term durability goes which is one reason I got a manual.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:41 AM
hyperactive enthusiast

Hi Matt,
I've got a 4 month old CVT. I agree with Lakedude. Fold down rear seat would have been really nice- however, I'm coming from an explorer, and aside from trips to lowes, I don't really have a problem with shifting to a smaller car. I stick the kids' hockey sticks between the seats and off we go. I can still fit plenty in the trunk so far- including stuff for a family of 4 off to see grandma for a weekend.
the mileage display skiping tenths is an annoyance, and I would prefer that it not, but again, I can live with it. I like the car alot.
I'd have liked to get a manual, but couldn't in the color I wanted. after driving my last car for 14 years in a color I didin't want, I decided I could deal with an automatic again too- as long as I had a blue car. no trouble so far (as you'd expect) from either the cvt or charging & discharging of the pack.
I'm getting 53mpg average on my current tank- and my driving is a lot of local driving with too many stop signs or lights that can't be timed. I did hit 60 for a while over the weekend- that was nice!

Old 05-25-2005, 04:46 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

When I bought my hybrid, I was driving an 1993 Ford F150. I live on a farm and need the vehicle for moving hay, feed, etc. I didn't want a third vehicle. When the price of gas approached $2, I did some calculations and found that the HCH would almost pay for itself on gas savings. A bit ambitious, but close. To date, I am about $1,200 in the red, only because I have accelerated by payments.

I worried about the get up and go of a small car and how it would feel with a 56 mile one-way 70 minute commute. After a year, I kick myself for not doing this sooner.

With the MT on the HCH, when I need an extra boost, downshift and it is there. I consider the battery pack a "mini turbo". The ride is almost luxurious compared to the truck. The sould system is head and shoulders above the truck, and I can even carry my golf clubs with me. Yeah, I have to make a special trip to the feed store for hay, but it is a small price to pay.

I live in NJ, and the commute is high speed stop and go (ie hurry up and wait). I don't drive conservatively, but I drive smartly, and I average about 50 mpg. And guess what, it's fun.

I also have a Ford Escape Hybrid, which my wife drives. It has a CVT. I can't stand the CVT. But she has learned (as I did at the beginning with the HCH), and now consistently gets tanks of 32-33 mpg, eventhough we have a cargo carrier on top that I am too lazy to take off.

Hope my 2c helps.

Old 05-25-2005, 07:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Matt, you ask a tough question: "what are some things you don't like about it?" Being 47 years old, and owning small trucks, small cars, midsize cars, large trucks, sporty cars, and now the HCH, I really have a hard time figuring out what not to like about my car.

I traded in my 2002 Civic Si for this car, and I have no complaints regarding acceleration, passing ability, or performance in the mountains. It is as roomy as I need it to be, it's whisper-quiet, I love the CVT transmission, and the mileage is exceptional as well, even in my short city commute.

Okay, here are a couple things I've thought of about the car:

- The ride will be a bit harsher when you go over bumps, because you will have inflated your tires a bit higher than what is recommended in order to get better mileage.
- You won't be able to get great gas mileage going 80mph; this is true of any car, but you will be more aware of it in a car like the HCH since you are trying to maximize your MPG.

That's about all I can think of. I have convinced two of my colleagues at work to purchase Civic Hybrids as well, and they both love their cars as much as I do. I guess that's possibly the best recommendation of all.

Old 05-25-2005, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast

I've had mine for a little over a year now. There are a few things I don't like about it.

The seats don't have as much leg support as I'd like. It's not really noticeable on short commutes but is very noticeable on long trips.

I don't like where the stereo is located. I have to reach a little too far to hit certain buttons.

A little more trunk space would be nice.

More color choices. When I got mine, blue wasn't even an option so I went with the color I disliked the least.

Sometimes, the auto-stop doesn't engage. It could be a nice, warm day and sometimes when I stop it just doesn't cut off like it should.

I've got a rattle in the right A pillar somewhere. That gets extremely annoying so I had to fold up a piece of paper and shove in there to keep it quiet until I can get it looked at.

Other than that, I'm basically satisfied. I certainly can't complain about the mileage.

Old 05-25-2005, 10:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have only had mine for a month. I really like it. I had a Kia before, so I am used to small cars. I think it is comfortable. I miss the fold down rear seats and the stereo speakers are really awful. Other than that, I think it is perfect.

Clay

Old 05-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

I'd really like to get a hybrid to save on the cost of gas, but according to Honda's online Savings calculator (http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/c...=Civic+Hybrid#) it looks like it would take at least 10 years to make up the difference in cost between the Hybrid and EX when driving 15k a year. But I'm also interested in the Hybrid for the SULEV side of it as well as the CVT. I could consider getting a manual, but since I've never owned one (I do know how to drive one though) I don't know if I get used to the idea of constantly shifting. I also like the look of the Hybrid and of the gauges. I'm just really confused because of the negative influence of my parents; like most people, they're grossly misinformed about hybrids... From the sound of it, no one seems to be bothered by the lower power of the CHC, is it even noticable? I've test driven one, but not for an extended time on a freeway.

Old 05-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mattm
I'd really like to get a hybrid to save on the cost of gas, but according to Honda's online Savings calculator (http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/c...=Civic+Hybrid#) it looks like it would take at least 10 years to make up the difference in cost between the Hybrid and EX when driving 15k a year. But I'm also interested in the Hybrid for the SULEV side of it as well as the CVT. I could consider getting a manual, but since I've never owned one (I do know how to drive one though) I don't know if I get used to the idea of constantly shifting. I also like the look of the Hybrid and of the gauges. I'm just really confused because of the negative influence of my parents; like most people, they're grossly misinformed about hybrids... From the sound of it, no one seems to be bothered by the lower power of the CHC, is it even noticable? I've test driven one, but not for an extended time on a freeway.
Well, look at the gas savings this way: you are saving gas EVERY MINUTE you drive the car, versus the EX you are considering.

My calcs say you'll save $283 per year at 15K per year at $2.20 gas prices. BUT: how much do you think gas is going to go up in 10 years? It has gone up about 70 cents in the last 18 months, but let's assume that was a market anomaly. Let's conservatively say it's going up HALF that fast in 18 months, 35 cents....so let's extrapolate that out to ten years:

6.67 total jumps of 35 cents in a 10 year span= $2.34, so current price of $2.20 + total jump in ten years of $2.34 mean gas prices will be $4.54 per gallon in 2015.

According to my handy dandy Excel spreadsheet I just created, that comes to $3,511 of gas savings in 10 years...

My opinion is this: buy the car you want for the reasons you want. If you choose the Hybrid over the EX and keep it 10 years, you will UNQUESTIONABLY pay for the extra cost. You will also get A) tax benefit for 2005 tax year and B) lower gas costs EVERY MILE DRIVEN and C) better resale value at the end. Not to mention helping the planet, reducing the dependence on foreign oil, etc etc etc.

P.S. Just noticed you hail from Utah. There is also this advantage to the Hybrids: In Virginia and Utah, drivers of hybrids can be the sole person in the vehicle and still use the high-occupancy-vehicle (HOV) lanes usually reserved for buses and cars with two or more people.

Last edited by lars-ss; 05-25-2005 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by sirlan

I've got a rattle in the right A pillar somewhere. That gets extremely annoying so I had to fold up a piece of paper and shove in there to keep it quiet until I can get it looked at.

Other than that, I'm basically satisfied. I certainly can't complain about the mileage.
That rattle is from the antenna wire going to the roof I think. I had the same issue. I took off the pillar and pushed the cable up a little more into the roof. Next time I take my pillar off I will have to take pictures.

Also, as far as comparing an ex to hybrid. The hybrid has nice automatic climate control. That would probably cost you if you could get it on an ex. It also comes with aluminum wheels (Don't know the cost of those on an ex). so at 19K for a comperably equiped ex and 21,500 for a civic hybrid it doesn't seem the cost is that different. Now if you are going to strip down the ex then you aren't realy comparing apples to apples.

Last edited by tbaleno; 05-25-2005 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: It's time for me to decide...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands