Jerky stops

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 06:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Jerky stops

Occasionally, as I come to a stop, the auto stop engages as near 0 mph. However, when the car actually comes to the full stop, it seems to jerk as the engine reengages and remains on for the remainder of the stop.

This does not happen every time, perhaps once or twice every day or two, and I haven't noticed any relationship to the grade of the road.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Old 06-13-2006, 06:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Jerky stops

That is the clutch actuating and releasing to keep the car from stalling at low speeds. I think the car's computer tries to decide if you are trying to park and keep the engine ready.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think once you slow down to the point that auto stop engages you need to be sure that you do not ease up on the brake, even slightly.
It makes the car think you want to go so it turns the engine back on.

After the auto stop engages press the brake pedal more firmly.

Last edited by kenny; 06-13-2006 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies so far. I will monitor the behavior more closely and provide additional information.

However, I'm pretty sure I'm not releasing the brake at all when it happens, which is why it seemed so weird to me.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonmatt4nr
Thanks for the replies so far. I will monitor the behavior more closely and provide additional information.

However, I'm pretty sure I'm not releasing the brake at all when it happens, which is why it seemed so weird to me.
I had the same issue and after listening the problem stopped. Learned the car and you will get a feel for how hard you need to press the brake pedal. I had the habit of braking soft when the car was almost at a stop. And after changing I very rarely have this issue. I still soften up but, it's definitely more firm pressing the pedal now.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Another thing to be aware of is this..

When braking, regen will be slowing you down, with some brake assistance. As you get closer to stop.. regen will cease, and your vehicles brakes will kick in fully. In this transition.. there is a slight change in the feel of the vehicle. Sometimes it feels as if the car suddenly wants to move forward on you and you may need to apply brakes a bit more firmly. It takes a little getting use to.. I don't even notice it anymore after driving the car for a week.

Autostop takes a bit of getting use to as well.. Soemtimes it kicks in.. other times it doesn't. After a while you'll be able to predict. If you know you are coming to a stop and won't stay stopped long.. some have suggesting changing gears to S, to prevent autostop.. then when accelarating switch back to D. I usually try to avoid accelerating immediately after autostop. I let autostop hit. I take my foot off the brake. Give the vehicle 1-2 seconds to start up.. Then I hit the gas. The transition is more smooth. I'm also wondering if it will help with engine longevity.

-GaryW.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wouldn't it have made more sense for Honda to have the AS go on just after the car had come to a complete stop?

I don't mind it but my wife hates it. My AS kicks in at 7mph. Is this normal?

Old 06-13-2006, 03:27 PM

Yes... mine kicks in at 7, too. I actually like it. I can anticipate it and work it into my stopping distance. On downhill slopes, I've actually coasted quite a ways... and up to 20 mph in AS.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by ppgroup
Wouldn't it have made more sense for Honda to have the AS go on just after the car had come to a complete stop?

I don't mind it but my wife hates it. My AS kicks in at 7mph. Is this normal?
Yes, it's normal. When you slow down to 7 MPH the CVT disengages the engine because otherwise it would stall. At that point I guess Honda figured that it makes no sense to keep the engine running.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:40 PM
The Devil's in the detail

Hi everyone,

If I could just add my two pence worth.

7mph or 12klmh is the cut off point..but of course only when braking.

When it happens it actually feels like a small burst of power. This is because the regen motor braking stops and you are now on normal disk brakes...and if you don't have your foot that hard on the brakes the braking force of the disks is less (at that precise moment) than the regen braking effect...so it feels like a burst of power.

Now...the important thing to do (as others have noted) is to maintain a steady braking force until a dead stop. Not that difficult once you get the hang of it.

I actually like the fact that the engine stop happens while I'm still moving because it allows me to coast (while still applying the brake pedal) for as long as I can. On a slight done grade this can be for a considerable distance!

Incidently, if you're really good at using the regen braking and not pushing hard enough to use the normal breaks, you will exetend the interval between brake services considerably.

I admit that the HCH-II takes some getting used to, but once you understand what it's doing and why, it's a lot of fun.

P.S. I just hit 58.75mpg today over a tank...what a blast!!

Last edited by Aussie; 06-13-2006 at 10:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Jerky stops

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands