Just bought civic IMA 2004 having problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Just bought civic IMA 2004 having problems

Hi guyz,

I just bought a civic IMA 2004 100K miles on it, everything seemed ok when I checked and paid the money to the guy but then drove it all the way from London to oxford thats about 85 miles (got 58 mpg thats great) but then I noticed a knocking sound coming from the engine. Anyway I took it to a garage and they told me its the AC pump thats causing the noise. Do you know how much would that cost?

Also when I stop the car on traffic signals it goes into AUTO STOP thats fine but sometimes when that happens the engine stalls and wont start straight away. It happened to me 5 times already. It takes a few seconds and a few tries with the iginition then the engine starts again. Now I keep the fan on auto so that the car doesnt go in AUTO STOP. Does anyone know what might be the problem? I think the car has not had a full service for at least 25000 miles maybe plugs are the problem?

Please help.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Default Re: Just bought civic IMA 2004 having problems

I was quoted a price of about $1100 US dollars from the dealer to replace the AC compressor. I chose not to do it but it wasn't making noises only not blowing cold air.

As for the auto-stop problem I have the manual transmission and I had a similar problem and I discovered by accident it was the clutch switch. If it doesn't start I find if I just mash a little harder on the clutch pedal it starts back up.

Hope it helps...

Old 08-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the answer, thats a lot of money for an old car so I guess I'll just keep on driving it the way it is for now.

As for auto stop, ok i'll try pressing the clutch a bit harder and see if that solves the problem but why would it stall at all? plugs? oil or air filters?

Old 08-14-2011, 06:27 PM

As for auto stop, ok i'll try pressing the clutch a bit harder and see if that solves the problem but why would it stall at all? plugs? oil or air filters?
I should have added that my car doesn't actually stall, it just doesn't restart sometimes from auto stop when I push the clutch back in and put it in gear.

I guess I'm a little confused as to how the car stalls when the engine is already stopped due to the auto-stop. If the engine actually stalls you should have lights other than the green auto stop light lit (oil light, red battery light, etc..)

If it is actually stalling it could be lots of things. I would start with a load test of the 12V battery and don't forget to check the cables. I'd also look at the air filter and then maybe the fuel filter (in tank). I assume the oil filter has been changed at oil changes and I can tell you with over 240,000 miles on my Civic hybrid I have never touched the spark plugs.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:22 AM
Enthusiast

[quote=mrkcohen;237125]I should have added that my car doesn't actually stall, it just doesn't restart sometimes from auto stop when I push the clutch back in and put it in gear.

I guess I'm a little confused as to how the car stalls when the engine is already stopped due to the auto-stop. If the engine actually stalls you should have lights other than the green auto stop light lit (oil light, red battery light, etc..)

Yes it doesnt start with auto start light on but when this happens, it doesnt start at all unless I take the key out and give it a few tries. I think I should just start with changing the oil and filters...what do you say?

Old 08-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would check the coils and spark plugs. H

Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Enthusiast

Just got it serviced and filters and oil have been changed and now AUTO STOP is working perfectly fine.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What all did they do? Did you have Honda service it or private? H

Old 08-16-2011, 02:51 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
What all did they do? Did you have Honda service it or private? H
Just private service and they just changed the filters and oil nothing special but it's all working fine now.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:30 AM

Just got it serviced and filters and oil have been changed and now AUTO STOP is working perfectly fine.
Cool.

Did they change the fuel filter? It's in the tank under the back seat. I don't see why changing the oil and oil/air filters would effect the auto-stop but as long as it's working why worry, right?

What about the AC noise? Are you going to live with it? Keep in mind there is a single serpentine belt and if the compressor seizes up you would be forced to do something at that point.

Best of luck, it's a good little car. I'm hoping to hit a least 300,000 miles on mine. Just don't beat it too much...

Quick Reply: Just bought civic IMA 2004 having problems

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands