Which on-line tax service to use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Which on-line tax service to use?

I am trying to be good this year and not procrastinate on my taxes. So I logged onto H&R Block since they say the 8910 form is available. Turns out it's not ready and says to wait until after mid-January (apparently not).

Does anyone know of any online service that has the 8910 ready to go? My tax needs are pretty simple, just salary, student loans, and now the hybrid credit - I want that $2,100! Will turbotax do it? Honestly I don't know of any other companies. And I'd rather not buy software, because that will just go to waste after a week.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Which on-line tax service to use?

Originally Posted by trip221
I am trying to be good this year and not procrastinate on my taxes. So I logged onto H&R Block since they say the 8910 form is available. Turns out it's not ready and says to wait until after mid-January (apparently not).

Does anyone know of any online service that has the 8910 ready to go? My tax needs are pretty simple, just salary, student loans, and now the hybrid credit - I want that $2,100! Will turbotax do it? Honestly I don't know of any other companies. And I'd rather not buy software, because that will just go to waste after a week.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Same thing happened to me this weekend. I wound up going to www.taxact.com and they do it for far cheaper than H&R Block. Total all in was around $23 if I'm not mistaken. $16 if you don't use their "data archival" service to keep your return for 3 years. They do federal & state e-filing and you can download your return as a PDF for future reference too.

Mondo happy with the product and the price I paid. They don't do audit representation though, so if you're got a real tricky return something to keep in mind.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I 2nd Taxact -- used them for years.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I used turbotax on line, they had the form, my taxes are filed, should get my refund by 2/12.....the price ($35) included filing but I am not sure about state taxes, we have none in WA. state....but I think it will do those for the price as well.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Enthusiast

I've used Taxslayer.com for about five years. $9.95 federal and state if you have to file for the state. Free to just fill everything out, they only charge you when your all done and ready to file. Never had a problem with these guys. If you are in the military active or reserves its free. I'm an Air Force Reservist so its free for me to e-file federal and state.

Good Luck

Old 02-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

I did mine with TurboTax...

Started with the IRS site for free file just in case I did quality... when I did not qualify for free file they offered the Basic at $9.95 for federal and $9.95 for state (less than the price of Basic from the TurboTax site). Less than $20 to file online, couldn't pass that up.

I filed on 1/29, IRS & state accepted on 1/30 and received a direct deposit for state refund on 2/1.

Very happy with TurboTax.

Last edited by okie mom; 02-05-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the help. I ended up using taxact.com. It was cheap, quick, and easy and I got my full $2,100 credit. I don't think I'll ever use H&R Block again.