Looking for a glove recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 09:40 AM
Enthusiast
Question Looking for a glove recommendation

I have a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid. I am preparing to install a grid charger, and I would like to have a pair of 500v (or class 00) gloves to do the job with (or any higher rating). My problem is... I cannot find them anywhere locally and every pair I find online is $60+.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a pair that would be suitable for handling an HCH II battery? I am specifically looking for a pair under $50 but I am having no luck searching on my own.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Looking for a glove recommendation

I have assembled and disassembled about 150 NiMH hybrid vehicle batteries ranging from 120 to 250 cells (144V to 300V nominal) with some packs attaining in excess of 350V during charge. I have never worn protective gloves except to protect myself from sheet metal cuts from some of the cases. Of course, I have intimate knowledge of the various packs' dangerous spots.

I have disassembled over a dozen HCH2 packs identical to yours. You really do have to be careless to get zapped. With the master switch off, it's nearly impossible to get shocked.

Good fitting mechanic's gloves are more than adequate unless you soak them in salt water.

I don't wear gloves because it impedes my dexterity in handling tools.

Before touching:

Check voltage of main leads before disconnecting from battery.
Check voltage between main lead and relay (grid charger installation points).

Having owned 2X HCH2 and having owned a dozen and tested about 15 of their packs, I can tell you with 100% certainty, you need to get a charger/discharger system. Hybrid Automotive is the best option. Grid charging alone does not permit you to recover capacity loss due to heat and short cycling - it only balances the cells at 100% SoC and does nothing to correct capacity imbalance.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the insight. After reading over various threads on this sight and a few others, I picked up that if you are careful with these batteries, you would be fine. I just didn't want to take any unnecessary risks. I did find a decent pair for $15 on amazon. If nothing else, the rubber gloves just makes me less anxious about the install.

I already have a charging system... I was going to see what happens when I gave it an initial charge and then possibly go the discharge route if I thought it was worth the time.
Any thoughts on a DIY discharger?

Old 12-05-2017, 07:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It's critical that you drive the cooling fan when charging. To be effective, grid charging needs to be done at low current for a very long time to ensure that all cells are at true 100% SoC. They will cook even at low current if you don't cool the pack.

The HCH2 fan is PWM controlled. The only way to run it without a PWM controller is to ground the PWM line to the (-) line on the fan harness and power it with at least 8A/12V power supply, and it is like a leaf blower.

Alternatively, you can pull the pack, stand it on end and cool it with a box fan blowing through it.

Again, don't bother charging unless you can do it at low current (350mA max) for 8800mAh input, and don't charge without cooling.

You absolutely, positively need to discharge after a full charge. I would plan on doing it at the outset.