Loud noise at certain speeds... not sure if upper control arms... HCH 06

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 03:51 PM
In love with my HCH
Default Loud noise at certain speeds... not sure if upper control arms... HCH 06

I'm going to have it serviced at the dealer this Fri, but I wanted to see prepared ahead of time to see if anyone has any ideas.

The issue is a loud humming/rumbling (not really a rumble though) sound that seems to emanate from the front when i'm going at speeds from 40-65mph. Above 70mph it goes away. Also, even when i have have my foot off the gas pedal it persists.

I checked the rear tires and there doesn't seem to be abnormal wear. Although, the tires are new, about a year old, and I've gone about 12k miles since then.

It started about 2 weeks ago... I didn't notice it at first as I was driving a company car for awhile so I wasn't sure if it was due to just the differences in the car, but now i'm sure it's abnormal.

Arthur

Old 10-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Loud noise at certain speeds... not sure if upper control arms... HCH 06

HCH2 has had issues with the wheel bearings! May be a faulty bearing? H

Old 10-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: Loud noise at certain speeds... not sure if upper control arms... HCH 06

I vote wheel bearing, also. There have been reports (on this site) about them going bad very prematurely.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:31 PM
In love with my HCH

Thanks for the info!

The bearings may also be the problem even if the sound goes away above 70mph?

Old 10-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by grimbergen
Thanks for the info!

The bearings may also be the problem even if the sound goes away above 70mph?
Yes. There are speed ranges where materials tend to vibrate naturally. Go too slow and the vibration never starts, go too fast and it can't keep up.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Maybe your tire/wheel became unbalanced for some reason.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:11 PM
In love with my HCH

Thanks all, it was the wheel bearings on the left front.

The dealer didn't have it in stock though, so i have to go back later this week. (is that normal? i didn't think this was such a special part?)

The cost was $485, but they have a night service that I do where there's a 10% discount.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:12 PM
In love with my HCH

oh yeah, so what do the bearings do? The dealer said it's not dangerous to drive it for another week normally...

I recall this also happened to an old ford i had many years ago, but in that instance the symptom was a crunching sound then you turned in one direction.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A bearing is what your wheel turns on! There are two beaings on each wheel. If you are not covered by warranty I would have someone else give you a quote. It sounds like Honda is going to replace the rotor as well because there estimate is very high? H

Old 10-28-2008, 06:48 PM
In love with my HCH

I haven't seen the written estimate, but I'll ask about the rotor. What's the normal price range for just replacing the bearings?

I bought this car used and purchased the used car warranty but that doesn't cover this, so I'm not sure about the original warranty, but i don't think the original warranty still covers it? (it's got 53k miles on it)

thanks!

Quick Reply: Loud noise at certain speeds... not sure if upper control arms... HCH 06

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands