Low humming coming from battery, now accessory battery light on

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 02:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Low humming coming from battery, now accessory battery light on

Hi, long time no talk

For the past few months every now and then (like once every 2 weeks) we would hear a low tone humming coming from the driver side rear... yesterday it happened right as I was getting out, so I opened the back door and realized it was coming from the battery compartment

Today it happened again, and I noticed the accessory battery light was on

I'm guessing either IMA or DC-DC converter is failing, but thought I'd ask the experts

Old 07-26-2017, 06:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Low humming coming from battery, now accessory battery light on

Battery is on the driver's side. DC-DC is on the passenger side.

Go to O'Reilly (nowhere else). Confirm health of 12V battery with a LOAD test and see if you have any pending codes.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Got busy and never got around to it, never happened again, don't think I've heard the hum since either

Old 09-16-2017, 04:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

I came home from work one day and the car started to make a bizarre sound just as I pulled into the driveway. Rolled down a window and listened and it seemed to be coming from the engine compartment. Turned off the motor and it stopped instantly. Turned the motor back on and it restarted. Popped the hood, left the car on, and listened in the engine compartment. Could not tell where it was coming from. Then it stopped. Got in the car, turned it off, got out, closed the hood, turned to go in the house and it started again. It still sounded like it might be coming from the engine compartment, maybe something associated with the fan, which was going? Then I looked up and realized it was actually from a leaf blower at the end of the block (we live at the top of a T intersection, the blower was at the bottom of the T.) By coincidence the gardener had turned his blower off and on in sync with my actions and some odd geometry with the big flat garage door right in front of the car muddled the apparent direction of the sound.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

LOL... Nice one.